• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root BrainFreeze, I Need NonUSB Root HELP

Im stupid stuck on the first step and Ive been at it for a week now, I just want to Root, then Ill never need to PC plug the phone again.

The problem is my Evo 4G ONLY connects to the pc to charge. Ive tried fixes, sorry, Ive wasted time on fixes and help posts; I did just successfully install 3.29.651.5IMG.zip from
[ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.5 (4/25/11) - xda-developers, but that was just been an update.

Anything Terminal Emulator, HBOOT or RECOVERY I can do, thanks for the help, google searching is pulling up all androids, allphone models, all Dates, I keep getting 2009 results.

ALSO, to anyone interested in Metro Flash, the 10 dollar phone flashing service from Metro PCS; in Nevada, found out yesterday, MetroFlash isnt available because the setup or network is/are changing or something. I forgot the specifics, but the rep said that even if I went and did it in CA, it wouldnt work in NV because of that.

Supersonic EVT2-3
Hboot 97
MicroP-041f
Radio 2.15.00.09.01
Build 3.29.651.5 cl252548 release-keys
Hardware v003
PC36IMG

Im stupid stuck on the first step and Ive been at it for a week now, I just want to Root, then Ill never need to PC plug the phone again.

The problem is my Evo 4G ONLY connects to the pc to charge. Ive tried fixes, sorry, Ive wasted time on fixes and help posts; I did just successfully install 3.29.651.5IMG.zip from
[ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.5 (4/25/11) - xda-developers, but that was just been an update.

Anything Terminal Emulator, HBOOT or RECOVERY I can do, thanks for the help, google searching is pulling up all androids, allphone models, all Dates, I keep getting 2009 results.

ALSO, to anyone interested in Metro Flash, the 10 dollar phone flashing service from Metro PCS; in Nevada, found out yesterday, MetroFlash isnt available because the setup or network is/are changing or something. I forgot the specifics, but the rep said that even if I went and did it in CA, it wouldnt work in NV because of that.

Supersonic EVT2-3
Hboot 97
MicroP-041f
Radio 2.15.00.09.01
Build 3.29.651.5 cl252548 release-keys
Hardware v003
PC36IMG

I take it in hboot it shows s-on. Can you take your phone in to have it repaired for the usb problem before rooting it? I think to get anything permanent you are going to have to have access through a pc. Z4root gives temporary root if you are just looking to be able to use root only apps like wifi tether and titanium backup.

Have you tried unrevoked? The directions say to use it in charge only mode anyway. I think there have been issues with Windows 7 and having to connect as a disk drive but I can't confirm that as yet

Upvote 0
Try unrevoked, it should work as long as the computer finds the phone, you also will need to connect with USB debugging but that should work as well. Also if you have something else that can fit a micro SD card that will mount on the computer you can take the card out, move everything then put it back in.

Upvote 0
Update- Root Manually Following a post suggestion, I began google searches of the manual root processes, supporting information, etc, to Terminal Emulator this crap into place.

Here's where we're at
I began by copying the flash-image to the proper system folders, using Root Explorer, File Expert works too. If you copy files to system/protected folders with an ordinary file manager, the permissions fail.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/arch.../t-918275.html

So, the next step was to learn how to chmod to 775, for those lost READ THIS, its a nice guide on linux permissions and how to set them.

Ill post more if anyone's interested, if anybody has any tips or shortcuts for me, thatd be awesome.:)

Upvote 0
xtreme is back!!!! yay!!

Thanks Doofus! Getting back up to speed after replacing my fried laptop. :)

Update- Root Manually Following a post suggestion, I began google searches of the manual root processes, supporting information, etc, to Terminal Emulator this crap into place.

Here's where we're at
I began by copying the flash-image to the proper system folders, using Root Explorer, File Expert works too. If you copy files to system/protected folders with an ordinary file manager, the permissions fail.

So, the next step was to learn how to chmod to 775, for those lost READ THIS, its a nice guide on linux permissions and how to set them.

Ill post more if anyone's interested, if anybody has any tips or shortcuts for me, thatd be awesome.:)

If you could post the steps you take to do this through TE that would be great! That will give help to those that might have the same issue down the road and come here searching for answers.

Upvote 0
When Doofus posted the 'Xtreme' greeting, I thought 'wtf? Is that windows or an app or what you ass?' Glad I left it alone.:)

As for documenting procedures, I think the best I can do is offer my findings, as nothing that Ive tried has worked, and its all just pieces.

in no particular order,

ADB Over TCP/IP Help
networking - How can I connect to Android with ADB over TCP? - Stack Overflow
this was the most recent attempt, Android lacks adhoc support though

ADB For Beginners

[GUIDE] ADB For Beginners (Setup, Use, and More!) - xda-developers
Commands like 'cp' and 'cat' are used interchangeably it seems, when I find a fuller command list incorporating more, this one will be replaced

Always Up To Date Root Guide

The Always Up-To-Date Guide to Rooting Any Android Phone
This is a great place for ideas if you're stuck, theyve put all the verified instruct-files on one page. I guess thats what moderators on forum sites do, consolidate information, this was just easy to read without weeding through any unrelated information

Evo 4G Root/Android Root
How to Root HTC Evo 4G! [NEW] | HTC Evo 4G Hacks!
This was another promising page I came across, but the the 300mb zip failed installation. 'Main Version is Older', all the files in the zip were for like 1.0 and my Evo's radio is 2.15. Changing the Android-info.text in rom .zips to match my devices information was my next idea. Do not do it though, scanning google result lines said it could brick your android.

Visionary, No ADB
[GUIDE] Permanent Root with Visionary/gfree (No ADB Required) - xda-developers
This is last because it was a bastard, long story short its not even for the Evo. Jerk.:)

More will come as more I fail, I guess.

Upvote 0
When you connect to the phone's USB, can you use your PC to browse the phone's SD card like a hard drive? If not, I'm thinking that all you need is a good USB data cable. If that is the case, then pick up a data cable, check for a data connection. If your current cable works for data, check your settings to see if you have USB Debugging enabled. Once you have a data connection and debugging enabled, start over from step 1 in the Rooting for Dummies guide; Unrevoked3 should work just fine.

Upvote 0
dude, the usb port does-not-work, ive spent plenty of time trying to fix it, and plenty of time reading fix posts of everyone else with a screwed port. the difference between myself and the others with broken hardware is that I dont have S-Off or root; I bought it used with no remaining warranty. And so, I search for a workaround root method, to get this first step finished, so I can begin the rest of my plans for this phone.

Upvote 0
dude, the usb port does-not-work, ive spent plenty of time trying to fix it, and plenty of time reading fix posts of everyone else with a screwed port. the difference between myself and the others with broken hardware is that I dont have S-Off or root; I bought it used with no remaining warranty. And so, I search for a workaround root method, to get this first step finished, so I can begin the rest of my plans for this phone.
The phone has a one year warranty, and it launched June 4 of last year. If your phone is not rooted, then it's still under warranty. I had a bad port also, I unrooted, took it in and they swapped it out on the spot. Seriously. But IMO, if it works for charging but not for data, I would definitely try a new cable. Your call.

Upvote 0
Uminchu I wish the problem was the port or plug. Then again if it were, the original owner wouldnt have sold it to me. My friend has had this phone sprint serviced twice, once at best buy when we thought it was the powermat malfunctioning. third time he just got a new phone, now I have this one and metro pcs; an account that Ive had for years now and have flashed two other phones to.

Upvote 0
Uminchu I have to apologize to you about the USB cord. You made suggestions that, though were not for me, did add to my knowledge databank. Im talking about the seperate USB cords, some are just for power and others for data; I didnt know that when I read it. I also didnt know that cords came with drivers, which I just saw. Never expected to a get a life lesson with the rooting instructions; when information is offered, take it and thank it. Thanks dude.

Upvote 0
Uminchu I have to apologize to you about the USB cord. You made suggestions that, though were not for me, did add to my knowledge databank. Im talking about the seperate USB cords, some are just for power and others for data; I didnt know that when I read it. I also didnt know that cords came with drivers, which I just saw. Never expected to a get a life lesson with the rooting instructions; when information is offered, take it and thank it. Thanks dude.
No problem friend, any progress getting the phone sorted out?

Upvote 0
Don't know if you tried this yet and this might be a shot in the dark... but over on the htc incredible we were able to use z4root to obtain permanent root and s-off, even though z4root only officially supports temporary root on the incredible.

First we used z4root to get temporary root status, then used rom manager to flash clockwork recovery. That was the tricky part. The setting in rom manager had to be set to "erase recovery". And the person that was doing it reported that he had to flash clockwork about 10 times for it to "stick". He was then able to boot into clockwork and flash s-off.
Here's the thread for reference, permanent root was achieved on post #49 (post #18 is where I started the experiment):

http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/340517-im-so-fed-up.html

Upvote 0
Sdrawkcab25, after Uminchu almost fed me my foot Ill try anything twice. Once in this case, thanks for the tip, Ill report back soon.
Lol, I did not "feed you your foot". Once it became clear that I was frustrating you more than helping you, I just shut up, bowed out, and hoped you'd figure it out. No worries, I took no offense. I've been there and know how it feels, and I'm in your corner. The last suggestion sounds like a good one. Good luck, please keep us updated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones