• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Brand New Evo, Rooting Questions

dfris2003

Lurker
Feb 5, 2011
HI all,

I got a brand new white evo 4g, and would like to root this thing.

I have a few questions, I have found the answers online, but they were always on older threads, and i wanted to make SURE I am on the right path.

I know my hboot is 2.10
and I know the OS is 2.2
Hardware version is 0004

Is the Unrevoked still the best way to root? Also can i then remove this bloatware from my phone with Unrevoked?

I am thinking i need to do the unrevoked3 then the Forever

I do have the sprint insurance on the phone, so i need to be able to UN-root as well just in case, Is this still possible with the newer phones?

I had all my contacts transferred to this phone, so whats a good backup program to save my contacts and I have paid for one app, seekdroid, do i need to back that up as well?

As for the Rom's and flashing, Can i keep the stock OS? Just a bit confused on this one.

Thanks for your time
Daryl

Is the Unrevoked still the best way to root? Also can i then remove this bloatware from my phone with Unrevoked?

I am thinking i need to do the unrevoked3 then the Forever

yes, imo best way to root.
no, it doesn't remove bloatware, you need to flash a new rom or use titanium backup for that
you shouldn't have to use forever, unless s-off doesn't take.

I do have the sprint insurance on the phone, so i need to be able to UN-root as well just in case, Is this still possible with the newer phones?

99.9% of what insurance covers will not be affected by rooting your phone. A broken screen or charging port is a hardware damage. Same with light leakage/glass separation.

Also, if you follow the directions and make sure you understand everything you're doing(sounds like you're on the right track asking questions) it is pretty much impossible to break your phone rooting it.

I had all my contacts transferred to this phone, so whats a good backup program to save my contacts and I have paid for one app, seekdroid, do i need to back that up as well?

Google sync, or if you go to people(the app that comes with the phone), hit menu, then export to SD, you can import after rooting. Paid apps are linked to google account on market, so when you root/flash a rom or whatever, market will know you already paid for it and let you redownload.

As for the Rom's and flashing, Can i keep the stock OS? Just a bit confused on this one.

Thanks for your time
Daryl

You don't have to flash a rom or kernel, but its worth it. Also flashing a ROM is the easiest way to remove bloatware.

and yes, following the rooting for dummies linked above is a good idea ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones