• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Brand New Phone

Hi all. I just made my first post in the introductions sub-forum. I got my first android phone today, a Galaxy S2 4G. I haven't powered it up yet, it's still in the package. Any advice on how to proceed, maybe as far as conditioning the battery, etc.? I see that many have issues with battery life, so whatever anyone can suggest to help give my phone and battery the best chances, I'd be glad to hear about it. Thanks!

John

Hi all. I just made my first post in the introductions sub-forum. I got my first android phone today, a Galaxy S2 4G. I haven't powered it up yet, it's still in the package. Any advice on how to proceed, maybe as far as conditioning the battery, etc.? I see that many have issues with battery life, so whatever anyone can suggest to help give my phone and battery the best chances, I'd be glad to hear about it. Thanks!

John

Welcome to the forums!!! You will love the phone. Its definitely a great phone. I got mine when it first came out at just under $400. And I am pleased with it

Charge it for a few hours before turning it on might help

Don't know its true for lithium ion batteries but certain batteries Dont charge past where they were initially turned on at. So if its only half battery life in that battery and u turn it on it may never charge past that but still say it's at 100 percent because it thinks it is . lithium ion batteries have a micro chip in them. I wouldn't know BC the store turned on my phone to activate it and I was pissed

And my battery is horrible.. I just ordered a 3 pack off eBay

Upvote 0
Man you guys have patience!!!

I couldn't even make it in the house before taking mine out of the shipping box and opening it up lol!

Horrible battery here too. SelfElevated: let us know how the ones you ordered work out and the seller, etc. if they work out good.

And galaxyfaraway - my only advice on that is do what I do:
I keep chargers in every corner of my house, office and each car lol!

Reactions: SelfElevated2
Upvote 0
My battery life is pretty decent now. It wasn't very good to start with, but as I tweaked the settings and stuff it got much better for me. They really need to design these phones to have larger capacity batteries without looking odd like an extended battery cover would make the phone look.

I did manage to charge mine some before using it the first time.

Upvote 0
The peeps that receive poor battery life most likely are excessive users.

Agreed. Since I'm new to smart phones, I've been using mine a lot to learn, and for the functionality and enjoyment that it provides. I'm finding the more I use the phone, and specifically connected to internet, the faster the battery wears down (duh). In using mine for just phone calls and texting, it seems to compare to other phones I've owned as far as battery discharge.

I've taken some of the advice I've gotten here and turned off 3G and 4G, and/or wifi when not using the service, and set other parameters to maximize battery life. When I use the phone and resources more extensively, I'll have to charge the phone more often. Makes sense to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones