• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help brand new to s3!! help.

haha my bad. just new to android os. ive had iphone 4 for the last 2 years, and im big on customizing. tried rooting on mac but i keep getting fails, so ill figure that out somehow. in the mean time ive gotten juice defender, advance task killer,swiftkey 3 and random apps i use daily on ios. was looking to maximize my experience hah.

Upvote 0
here are the apps I found useful with my S3.

1. Zoom Camera -> this doesn't have buddy share but hey, you can at least zoom. Revert back to the original camera for buddy share and snapping pics while video recording.
2. SmartTools -> has tools like compass, light, angles, rulers and stuff.
3. Gas Buddy + Waze -> really good combo for driving around a city. If you want to find a new place, could always revert to google maps.
4. Media players: MX Player + doubleTwist -> great combo for videos and music.
5. Wallpaper Changer -> makes things interesting, not exactly what I wanted but it'll do.
6. Agenda Widget -> cause everyone can use a good widget for their calendar.
6. ConvertPad -> converts everything and anything including currency!

You already have swiftkey so that doesn't need to be mentioned again.

Reactions: Xyrax
Upvote 0
thanks for the input! what is a great gps app? i have apex launcher but im trying to figure it out still. wont let me put widgets unless i root, but im at a brick wall atm lol

Apex launcher does not let you put widgets on the desktop from the Applications/Widgets tray.

To put widgets on your Apex desktop, long press and hold anywhere on your home screen and select "widget" to see the list of available widgets.

Reactions: khunfused
Upvote 0
thanks for the waze!!!

if anyone has a mac, what apps do you use to do file transfers of like pictures n music. using android file transfer, but i kinda want to focus more on music transfer from itunes

There's an app called isyncr in the play store that let's you sync your s3 with itunes. Try the free version and see if it works for you.

Upvote 0
haha my bad. just new to android os. ive had iphone 4 for the last 2 years, and im big on customizing. tried rooting on mac but i keep getting fails, so ill figure that out somehow. in the mean time ive gotten juice defender, advance task killer,swiftkey 3 and random apps i use daily on ios. was looking to maximize my experience hah.

As mentioned above get rid of task killer. As far as a good program for syncing iTunes I use to use double twist. But now you can just get Google music, this way you won't have to worry about filling space on your phone. As far as GPS the stock Google maps and nav work damn well.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's not just that; task killers undermine the OS's optimisation process, which reduces performance on both, the device and the battery.

One should only kill a task if one has a very specific reason to do so (i.e. glitched but that warrants a restart anyway).

cf. http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/600643-galaxy-s3-problems.html#post4818104
Here's a good article regarding Task Killers - I know this comes up all the time, but they are definitely not necessary. Real World Test Show That Android Task Killers Are Still Useless

Welcome to AF and enjoy your S3!

Upvote 0
Someone should really "kill" Advanced Task Killer.

I feel like people coming over to Android search on this topic and read about it (often from posts that are several years old) and think they need it, when actually they should NOT have it. It's not just outdated it's actually worse than having nothing.

Kinda like having an old man tell you that the best solution for your achy elbow is blood letting and/or leeches.....at one time it may have been an accepted recommendation but no longer.

As more and more people have at least Gingerbread or higher, the number of "older" Android platforms that actually could benefit from ATK is dwindling.

Upvote 0
For GPS go with WAZE. It's free and social. The Mapquest one is also good and free.

Why would you WAZE when you've already got an AWESOME GPS Navigator already built into your phone....Google Navigation! Seriously it is so slick I'm not sure what else any other program could offer, and it's completely integrated with your maps and everything else.

Having access to the Google Navigation is a key treat on Android, as it is not available on iOS. Sometimes Google leaves the special vintage wine off to the side for its best customers!

Upvote 0
There are a lot of things you can do to maximize your experience on the S3. S3's the top selling Android smartphone handsdown and for a reason. Do you got the international version of the S3 or the American and Canadian variant with the S4 snapdragon?

I got my S3 not too long ago. i followed this guy i found on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LeFLeKTzqU i tried using APEX launcher and its doing great. super smooth.. kinda scared to root my phone though....although i'd love to have that nice blue top bar with the blue icons...

Upvote 0
ditched task killer, thanks guys!

isyncr doesnt work for me. wont open on my mac..

anyone know best way to sync to itunes via mac?
doubletwist only works via air and dont wanna pay for that. kies messes up my whole library.

no more need for task killer. Android 3.0/4.0/4.1 killed off the need to have one of those 3rd party apps... yay for Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones