1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

breaking a password

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by deltagold, Apr 26, 2011.

1. deltagold

deltagold Lurker
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    My 15 yr old daughter has an HTC hero, the agreement was that she could have internet on her phone for school projects and to chat with friends on face book. she was told that she was not to have any emails or other apps on the phone with a password unless I had the password. I have the security settings set to private on face book. the problem is, i have since found apps like ping chat and another app that I don't remember with a password on it. I know the one for ping chat, and she must think i an stupid she keeps telling me the messages are all the same in both place. HOW can i get around this password? it is a number code you have to punch in, I know she is lying to me because she says she can't remember it.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You can't.

You can:

1. Take the phone away until she provides you with the appropriate access by either providing you with the password, showing you the messages or deleting the app(s). Mind you, if she wants to sneak around, she can delete the messages and then show you the app or uninstall the app before you see the phone and then reinstall.

2. Have your provider turn off data and messaging for that device.

3. Put your daughter in a Convent.

15 year old girls make me glad I had boys.

3. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    NYC
    I agree with Lunatic, if your teenage daughter wants to send messages without you knowing, she's going to find a way, end of story. (I'd know, I was a teenager not too long ago).

But as for the question at hand, you can delete the apps but I'm not aware of any way to crack into them or prevent them from being re-downloaded (I'm willing to bet either option is impossible). You can do a factory reset and re-download the apps, then put your OWN password on it to prevent her from using them or to view what she's saying at your own discretion, but it's likely she'll just do a factory reset herself.

You can always try a brute force attempt on the password (putting in every combination starting with 0000, then 0001, etc.) but that's going to eat up quite a bit of your time (and in my opinion is more an invasion of privacy than anything, but that's a different matter).

4. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
  5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    You could always delete the app and put App Locker on. Configure it to protect only the market. She would not be able to install any apps on the phone from the phone. If she went to the browser on her computer, you could log in as well and monitor any apps that were installed that way.

6. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    Aurora CO
    Me personally, I'd take the phone away and have it replaced with an old clamshell non-smartphone of which I have a half dozen knockin around in my kitchen's junk drawer.

The logic is simple. You two made a deal, she broke it, time for you to make good on the consequences.