1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

BRICKED(again)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LittleBigOne, Apr 15, 2012.

1. LittleBigOne

LittleBigOne Newbie

Revolutionary-
    SUPERSONIC EVT3 Ship S-OFF
    HBOOT-6.16.1002
    MICROP-041f
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224-16ab
    RADIO-2.15.00.0808
    MAR 8 2011, 17:02:15

Hi I'm fairly new to android devices and rooting so I think I screwed up(having trouble admitting I did because it's not my phone) I let the phone die completely after flashing the above Kernel/ROMS. Now it's stuck on the hTC EVO 4G screen whether I choose to boot into recovery or regular. I've tried just about every single guide here and to no success. Tried the PC3IMG trick and the phone wouldn't recognize it. At times the pghones brightness flashes like the little droid guys go from light green to dark. I've managed to get into recovery once by luck but it froze and again the revolutionary icon pulsated....wait....it just booted up. Okay so now I'm at the spinning cyanogen 7 icon. Okay it booted up. I read that there are some issues with Cyanogen 7 and recgharging should I just not let my phone go below 15%? What would you guys prefer. I'm doing this for someone who likes to play games. Stock rom/kernel isn't enough. What stable roms and kernels would best suit the EVO 4G? Froze while I was restoring contacts Boot loop again.....recognized the PC36IMG I put into the root of the SD. Asked me if I wanted to update, so I hit yes. Now it's stuck again on white screen. The PC36IMG worked. I wiped the Davlak thing and cache. Now it's rebooting fine. =D finally.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Welcome to the forums!

As long as your able to get into recovery, you'll always be fine.

What was your wiping procedure before flashing the ROM? What ROM/Kernel combo did you try to flash?

Can you update us on what exactly the issue is? You've edited so many times its hard to see where you are

frenchy714, LittleBigOne and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

also to add to what rxpert has said, one thing you also should do is slow down. trying things on a whim without knowing what is going on is a sure way to brick your phone.

so can you give us an update as far as your current state?

frenchy714, LittleBigOne and Rxpert83 like this.
  4. LittleBigOne

LittleBigOne Newbie

Before CyanogenMod 7 I flashed Rainy Days ROM. It worked well till I downloaded SetCpu and began messing with the CPU. Rainy Days ROM has an auto battery saver option when the battery falls under 15%. I'm guessing that it attempts to underclock. But I had the minimum and maximum CPU set above 1Gz on SETCPU and I gave it SuperUser permissions. Not sure if that matters but as of now this is what it says in the About phone section.

Model number
    pc36100
    Android Version
    Baseband Version
    Kernal Version
    2.337.6-cyanogenmod-01509-g8913be8shade@toxygene #1
    CPU info
    ARMv7 Processor Rev2(v71)
    Mod Version
    CyanogenMod-7.1.0-Supersonic

It continues to shut off and reboot. I thought this was a stable rom/kernel

5. LittleBigOne

LittleBigOne Newbie

@Rxpert I pretty much wiped the SD card completely or so I think.

6. LittleBigOne

LittleBigOne Newbie

I'm beginning to think the issues lie within Voltage of the phone. It's okay until I either 1)Connect it to a USB cable or 2) connect it to a wall charger. So long as the phone is drawing power it becomes unstable and crashes. What the hell did I do to cause this instability?

Rxpert83 likes this.
  7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Playing with SetCPU without knowing what your doing can cause a lot of bootloops and lag. If I were you I would wipe dalvik cache & cache in recovery and reflash your ROM. This will replace your kernel with the stock kernel and reset all its voltages. You will not lose any data. It will also replace any stock apps/themes you have changed or deleted

MizzouBrent, ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.
  8. frenchy714

frenchy714 Android Expert

When running CM7, there's no need to use SetCPU (you *can* but it's not necessary); you can scale the CPU up and down through the options w/in the ROM.

Out of curiosity, how high did you scale the CPU while using SetCPU? If scaled too high, your phone will become unstable and reboot, etc...Also, if you scale your CPU too high using SetCPU and have "Set On Boot" checked, and your Evo becomes unstable and reboots, once rebooted it will be scaled back to the frequency that was too high in the first place and become unstable all over again.

ocnbrze and LittleBigOne like this.
  9. LittleBigOne

LittleBigOne Newbie

I was scaling it as high as possible. I'm going to reflash the cyanogenmod. I'll let you guys know if it helped and thanks for the information =D

10. LittleBigOne

LittleBigOne Newbie

Is my kernel good for this rom? Should I flash a different one?

11. frenchy714

Looks like you were running the kernel that comes w/ CM7, correct? If so, you're good there.

As for the scaling. Most phones can scale to 1152 w/o issue, very few can go above that w/o becoming unstable. Start out at 1036 and slowly scale up from there. But first I want you to scale it down and see if that corrects some of the issues you're experiencing.

ocnbrze likes this.
  12. LittleBigOne

LittleBigOne Newbie

Wiped the cache and davlik reflashed the rom, it began to flicker then froze. Now it won't even boot. I'll make a video if I get it to boot again so you can see what I'm experiencing.

13. frenchy714

Try performing a FULL wipe and reflashing the ROM.

14. LittleBigOne

LittleBigOne Newbie

Exactly what is a "FULL" wipe?

15. frenchy714

A FULL wipe consists of wiping the following partitions:

User Date/Factory Reset
    Data
    Boot
    System

Or

You can use a Format All flashable zip that will do it for you (you flash it like you would a kernel, etc.) which can be found here. If you choose this method to do a FULL wipe, run it 3 times to be safe.

dustwun77 and ocnbrze like this.
  16. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

also making nandroid backups before flashing new roms can help as well. if anythong goes wrong you can always go back to a stable rom that you had.

i would also read this guide:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

just skip the rooting part and go to the after root section. it has a lot of valuable info there. you can find how to flash a rom and make a nandroid backup. also if you do not have amon ra 2.3 as your recovery, the guide will show you how to switch recoveries to amon ra2.3 which i highly recommend.

dustwun77 likes this.
  17. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

There's your problem :eek:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

18. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Android Expert

It's always recommend tiamat 3.3.7 for aosp such as cyanogenmod. It's a beast of a kernel.

19. LittleBigOne

LittleBigOne Newbie

It worked thanks guys. I can already tell it's going to be okay. I never did a FULL wipe before so that might have been it. Again thank you guys.

ocnbrze, frenchy714 and dustwun77 like this.
  20. frenchy714

Moving forward, I suggest performing a FULL wipe prior to flashing any ROM. Even if it's just an update, it doesn't hurt to do a FULL wipe.

Rxpert83 and ocnbrze like this.
  21. frenchy714

Oh and btw, it's very hard to actually BRICK your Evo. You've got to actually be trying to BRICK your Evo to do so. Just know, as long as you can get to Recovery, for the most part we can troubleshoot the situation to get you back to a bootable state and fix the issue.

ocnbrze likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews