• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root BRICKED(again)

LittleBigOne

Apr 15, 2012
Revolutionary-
SUPERSONIC EVT3 Ship S-OFF
HBOOT-6.16.1002
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224-16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.0808
MAR 8 2011, 17:02:15

Hi I'm fairly new to android devices and rooting so I think I screwed up(having trouble admitting I did because it's not my phone) I let the phone die completely after flashing the above Kernel/ROMS. Now it's stuck on the hTC EVO 4G screen whether I choose to boot into recovery or regular. I've tried just about every single guide here and to no success. Tried the PC3IMG trick and the phone wouldn't recognize it. At times the pghones brightness flashes like the little droid guys go from light green to dark. I've managed to get into recovery once by luck but it froze and again the revolutionary icon pulsated....wait....it just booted up. Okay so now I'm at the spinning cyanogen 7 icon. Okay it booted up. I read that there are some issues with Cyanogen 7 and recgharging should I just not let my phone go below 15%? What would you guys prefer. I'm doing this for someone who likes to play games. Stock rom/kernel isn't enough. What stable roms and kernels would best suit the EVO 4G? Froze while I was restoring contacts Boot loop again.....recognized the PC36IMG I put into the root of the SD. Asked me if I wanted to update, so I hit yes. Now it's stuck again on white screen. The PC36IMG worked. I wiped the Davlak thing and cache. Now it's rebooting fine. =D finally.

Before CyanogenMod 7 I flashed Rainy Days ROM. It worked well till I downloaded SetCpu and began messing with the CPU. Rainy Days ROM has an auto battery saver option when the battery falls under 15%. I'm guessing that it attempts to underclock. But I had the minimum and maximum CPU set above 1Gz on SETCPU and I gave it SuperUser permissions. Not sure if that matters but as of now this is what it says in the About phone section.

Model number
pc36100
Android Version
Baseband Version
Kernal Version
2.337.6-cyanogenmod-01509-g8913be8shade@toxygene #1
CPU info
ARMv7 Processor Rev2(v71)
Mod Version
CyanogenMod-7.1.0-Supersonic

It continues to shut off and reboot. I thought this was a stable rom/kernel

Upvote 0
Playing with SetCPU without knowing what your doing can cause a lot of bootloops and lag. If I were you I would wipe dalvik cache & cache in recovery and reflash your ROM. This will replace your kernel with the stock kernel and reset all its voltages. You will not lose any data. It will also replace any stock apps/themes you have changed or deleted

Upvote 0
When running CM7, there's no need to use SetCPU (you *can* but it's not necessary); you can scale the CPU up and down through the options w/in the ROM.

Out of curiosity, how high did you scale the CPU while using SetCPU? If scaled too high, your phone will become unstable and reboot, etc...Also, if you scale your CPU too high using SetCPU and have "Set On Boot" checked, and your Evo becomes unstable and reboots, once rebooted it will be scaled back to the frequency that was too high in the first place and become unstable all over again.

Upvote 0
I was scaling it as high as possible. I'm going to reflash the cyanogenmod. I'll let you guys know if it helped and thanks for the information =D

Looks like you were running the kernel that comes w/ CM7, correct? If so, you're good there.

As for the scaling. Most phones can scale to 1152 w/o issue, very few can go above that w/o becoming unstable. Start out at 1036 and slowly scale up from there. But first I want you to scale it down and see if that corrects some of the issues you're experiencing.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Looks like you were running the kernel that comes w/ CM7, correct? If so, you're good there.

As for the scaling. Most phones can scale to 1152 w/o issue, very few can go above that w/o becoming unstable. Start out at 1036 and slowly scale up from there. But first I want you to scale it down and see if that corrects some of the issues you're experiencing.

Wiped the cache and davlik reflashed the rom, it began to flicker then froze. Now it won't even boot. I'll make a video if I get it to boot again so you can see what I'm experiencing.

Upvote 0
Exactly what is a "FULL" wipe?

A FULL wipe consists of wiping the following partitions:

User Date/Factory Reset
Data
Boot
System

Or

You can use a Format All flashable zip that will do it for you (you flash it like you would a kernel, etc.) which can be found here. If you choose this method to do a FULL wipe, run it 3 times to be safe.

Upvote 0
also making nandroid backups before flashing new roms can help as well. if anythong goes wrong you can always go back to a stable rom that you had.

i would also read this guide:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

just skip the rooting part and go to the after root section. it has a lot of valuable info there. you can find how to flash a rom and make a nandroid backup. also if you do not have amon ra 2.3 as your recovery, the guide will show you how to switch recoveries to amon ra2.3 which i highly recommend.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
A FULL wipe consists of wiping the following partitions:

User Date/Factory Reset
Data
Boot
System

Or

You can use a Format All flashable zip that will do it for you (you flash it like you would a kernel, etc.) which can be found here. If you choose this method to do a FULL wipe, run it 3 times to be safe.

It worked thanks guys. I can already tell it's going to be okay. I never did a FULL wipe before so that might have been it. Again thank you guys.

Upvote 0
It worked thanks guys. I can already tell it's going to be okay. I never did a FULL wipe before so that might have been it. Again thank you guys.

Moving forward, I suggest performing a FULL wipe prior to flashing any ROM. Even if it's just an update, it doesn't hurt to do a FULL wipe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones