1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Bricked dINC running CM7 RC2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by taiwaneezy, Apr 9, 2011.

1. taiwaneezy

taiwaneezy Newbie
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    A little info.

- For the past few weeks, my phone has been randomly rebooting randomly. Like sometimes I'll be holding the phone, browsing the web. BAM! Reboot! I thought that I might have done something that I shouldn't have, so I wiped data and cache, then reflashed CM7 RC2. For the past week, instead of rebooting, the phone just turns off. I can't say how frequently, cus when I'm at work, I can't check my phone often.

- Lately, it seems that my power button might be failing. I know for sure that I have at least 40% battery by the end of the work day. So mid work day, it should at least turn on.

- Today, phone will NOT turn on... at all. When attempting to charge phone, the orange led doesn't even turn on.

Not sure what to do. I don't have warranty, since I bought it from someone. Since I'm with Verizon, warranties don't transfer. Phone has never been in water. Dropped the phone once on carpet over 6mo ago... so it's probably not that.

Any help or trouble shooting would be awesome. Using BB Storm for the moment. Can't believe that I liked this phone... ever.

Thanks in advance,
    Ken

Advertisement

2. bowerman

bowerman Guest
    None
    KInd of a long shot, but did you try removing the battery?

3. dragonsamus

dragonsamus Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    retail... bleh
    Sacramento, CA
    Try a different battery and if the phone turns on see if switching roms will fix your reboot issue. Good luck!

4. kenn

kenn Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    What kernel were you running? I had an interesting glitch with chad's kernel where if the phone was shut down while plugged into the charger, the charger light wouldn't come on and the phone was "dead". I had to pull the battery and put it back in to get it to fire back up. If you haven't at least done that, try doing so and as mentioned, see if you can try someone else's battery.

I've gone back to the slayher (included) kernel on CM7 RC4 and I don't have that weird issue any more.

taiwaneezy likes this.
  5. alk1

alk1 Member
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Inventory
    Clifton, NJ
    I had the same problem with the random rebooting I unrooted went back to a stock 2.2 rom called Verizon and they sent me a certified like new replacement and this phone is perfect no problems whatsoever. It is a radio gone bad and overheating which causes the rebooting the only way to correct is a replacement. They are aware of the problem it is common.

6. taiwaneezy

taiwaneezy Newbie
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    I have no idea which kernal I'm running. I never really understood reasoning for changing kernals all that well, but going will read the "Kernals for noobs" type of threads in a bit.

I'll also check out someone else's battery.

@alk1, Vzw won't give me a "FRU/CLNR", because I didn't buy the phone from them. I got the phone used, from a random guy on a different forum. The warranty doesn't transfer from original owner to the next person. So I can get a replacement through insurance for $89... or switch to at&T-mobile :)

7. kenn

kenn Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    I just flashed the latest version of Chad's incredikernel (preview 3) and my strange charging issue disappeared. In this latest build, the battery life is, well, incredible. The kernel undervolts and underclocks when idle and uses almost nothing when idle...

Three cheers for incredikernel and CM7...

taiwaneezy likes this.
  8. taiwaneezy

taiwaneezy Newbie
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    I couldn't find IncrediKernel for the life of me. I left my dINC on the charger, and noticed that it randomly started charging. So right away, I flash CM7(final). Now my phone is working fine. Haven't noticed any problems yet. Honestly, I thought that my phone was pretty much bricked...

So from one Ken to another Kenn. Thanks.

9. kenn

kenn Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Incredikernel can be found here: The stable GB build is on page 1 (3/18 build). Preview 3 was on page 210 or so -- you'll have to hunt for it but the 3/18 should be your first try if you want to give his kernel a whirl.

[KERNEL] 2.6.37.4-incredikernel-03/18/11 - xda-developers

Download it to your sd card, check the md5 with md5calc and then flash it with recovery. I always wipe my cache (not factory reset), dalvik cache, and battery stats before I install the zip.