• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root bricked lg optimus v and no custom recovery

vtimmy13

Lurker
Jan 11, 2012
hi i have an lg optimus v and i messed it up its in a boot loop where it just says lg and then virgin mobile or lg i never downloaded a custom recovery believe me i tried with rom manager clockwork wouldnt stay on! Anyways so ive been googling how to fix this i tried a kdz but it kept getting errors saying extract file erorr so then i saw this by cooper (scroll past to see rest of post

How to unbrick
With the influx of new people to rooting, I decided to write this guide. If you experiment or make mistakes sometimes something may go wrong with your phone. This will fix almost any problems. I like testing anything, and I've never permanently bricked. I've got caught in a bootloop, my phone wouldn't boot, and some other things. Custom recovery wouldn't boot or system was corrupted, among other things. This has fixed it all.
The only things this may not fix are if you flash the wrong .tar through SWUpgrade, and sometimes if you flash the wrong sized boot image.
**Note** If you are able to flash something through custom recovery, Just do step 2.

1. Flash this through SWUpgrade: Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe (installs 2.1 with custom recovery)
2. Put this in your SD card in sdx/zip. Flash it through the custom recovery (puts you to 2.1 stock) full_restore_stock.zip
3. Download this file and place it in the root of your SD card. Select apply update.zip in the stock recovery (get to it same way as custom recovery) update.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download (updates phone to Froyo)
4. Download this file and flash it through SWUpgrade: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21183005/recovery.tar (adds custom recovery to 2.2)

well since i only have stock recovery and my device is froyo not 2.1 i see option 3 as my only choice if im wrong please correct me! but his link update.zip go to it it brings u to nothing just 4shared saying The file link that you requested is not valid. Please help. Any other ways btw i am really new to all this command stuff so please go easy on me! Also if i fo coopers method where do i put it on the stock like what folder where and how do i get it on it someone elses phone with my sim in it?

Ok. Please let us know exactly what lead up to your phone being in the state it is now in. Try to remember everything. The more details we have the quicker we can determine what corrective action is needed.
The firmware files that are available to download, both the ZV4 and ZV5 are borked. There missing an important file thats necessary and only LG and maybe VM know what's supposed to be in it.

What exploit did you use to root your phone and what method of using said exploit did you use?

Here at this forum there is no such thing as a silly question, information is free.

Welcome to android forums! I hope we can help you get your phone running like new. No, better than new!

Edit: I'm going to be pretty busy for the next couple of days, might not see your post in here right quick. If you still need help just click on my name and shoot me a private message. I see that no matter where I'm at, and can get back to you sooner.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones