• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bricked M8, no fastboot, black screen, no recovery

Gkhnn

Lurker
Feb 20, 2015
Hi all

I had problems with installing 4.16.401.10 firmware but finally its installed. I tried than installing cm12 and ard 34.1 rom on it, but twrp recovery was giving me unable to mount data all the time.

I done a research and found out that i could type following commands and get it work.

cd /d c:\mini-sdk
adb push mkfs.ext4 /tmp
adb shell
chmod 777 /tmp/mkfs.ext4
/tmp/mkfs.ext4 -b 4096 -O ^huge_file,^dir_nlink,^ext_attr,^resize_inode,^ext ra_isize -m 0 /dev/block/mmcblk0p37

but none of it could work. I started the phone in recovery than typed command in twrp, but it freezed than shut down.

Since than i could not starte it up, its connected to my charger but no charging lights turning on, no vibration. When i connect the phone to pc, i hear bip sound, 14 windows pups up with format disk for 11 disks. There are two disk partition where includes files. i tried several times to get the in fastboot but no device shows up. Windroid tool kit can not see the device is on even partition disk showed up in C :

please help me
frown.gif

That might have worked if you'd specified the correct mount point number to the data partition for the One M8. I was curious so also did some searching and pretty quickly turned up those commands in a post specific to the HTC One - different device with different partition mount point set-up, and believe me I'm no expert by any means.
Unfortunately for you it looks like you have tried to format one of the non-EXT4 partitions (from what I can find the mmcblk0p37 partition on the M8 has something to do with "carrier"), and not surprisingly have inflicted permanent damage.

It doesn't help you now, and I'm not trying to be smart either but this is how I approach stuff I don't know enough about:

1 - If you don't know don't be tempted to do anything, leave your device well alone - Ask first
2 - Still don't be tempted to do anything - Ask again
3 - No really, if it's firmware related don't be tempted to do anything - triple check and ask again
4 - Research some more
5 - Check what you read is applicable to your specific device
6 - Consider where you are reading/getting the advice from
7 - Understand and be willing to accept the risk of bricking your expensive device - it is your device after all and no-one forces you to do anything to it
8 - Check (double check if firmware) md5s of downloads
9 - Then think about doing it
10 - Give yourself time to do it with no interruptions and tools to hand (pc and coffee!) - for me firmware stuff is always a Saturday job
11 - Then do it

Over-the-top and paranoid? Possibly, probably even - believe me I still sweat when flashing firmware - but then again my phone still works.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones