• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bricked my Streak with Bloat Freezer - any ideas?

I've been using Bloat Freezer on my Dell Streak 5. Problem is I have frozen something important and cannot use my phone now. :( Really hoping someone can help me out on this.

I have frozen whatever it is which displays the "desktop" (in PC terms), ie the scrollable screen with the app logos.

So when the phone opens, I just have a black screen. The notifications bar is visible and can be dragged open, and I can lock / unlock the phone, nothing else.

I have tried a factory reset, this has not worked. It gets so far through the initial setup process, before I get a system error and the setup process force closes.

I had previously installed Titanium Backup and so there should be a full backup of the phone on the SD card.

If I could get Bloat Freezer to open, I could presumably unfreeze everything I froze, and I assume my desktop would reappear? But I don't know how I can launch the app if the desktop is not visible.

Any ideas? Have any other idiots like me done something similar?!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give...

Would this approach work?

1 Apply the official O2 2.2 build via recovery mode, using the pkg file found here: OTA and package links for official Froyo update for O2-locked Dell Streak

2 (Assuming this works and I get my desktop back) Re-root the phone

3 Re-install Titanium Backup

4 Recover previous backup from SD

Big question is whether step 1 would undo the damage I've done.

Upvote 0
There is a factory reset and a Hard factory reset, that you do with a combination of the buttons, don't remember the combination :( Also, not sure where your App "Bloat Freezer" lives, maybe if you remove your SD card it might help.

Just before I sent mine back to the factory, they had me reset it to factory with a sequence of using the buttons on the side. It did the factory reset, but didn't fix my problem. I started with lots of software that claimed to keep the device clean and use less battery, etc. But I now run a pretty clean device and have had no issues.

Upvote 0
For anybody who comes across this thread in the future, who knows, it may appear as though I am talking to myself. However, just to confirm that the four step process I outlined in my previous post did restore my phone. I had to recreate my desktop, in that all of my shortcuts and my wallpaper had returned to the O2 standard. However the process of restoring all my system and app data via Titanium was extremely straightforward, once I had re-rooted the phone using SuperOneClick.

Also the developer of Bloat Freezer was very helpful and did his best to find a solution which wouldn't have required a complete rebuilt, sadly without success, but much credit to him for trying.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones