• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bricked Nexus 9

DEL 707

Lurker
Dec 16, 2015
I have a Nexus 9, which is my 1st Android device.
I did an update for Android last night, and after that I got this message.

"Your device is corrupt. It can't be trusted and may not work properly.
Visit this link on another device: g.co/ABH"

Then I seemed to get a constant crash loop.
I tried to run factory reset, but the tablet seemed to be erasing for over an hour, then it just went back to the crash loop.

I've tried to follow some guides on fixing this, I've downloaded the image along with abd.
I run abd devices, but it doesn't show anything.
With my tablet connected via USB, my computer sees it as Android 1.0, I also downloaded SDK and used it to get the Google USB driver, but abd still doesn't see it.

Can anyone help?

That " device is corrupt" message usually comes with flashing an unofficial boot image or something. How were you updating? Was it an official over the air update, or did you try installing something?
Adb alone will not help. You need adb and fastboot. If it will boot up, you need to go into settings/developer options and turn on USB debugging and OEM unlocking. Then you can unlock your bootloader and use fastboot to flash a factory image

Upvote 0
That " device is corrupt" message usually comes with flashing an unofficial boot image or something. How were you updating? Was it an official over the air update, or did you try installing something?
Adb alone will not help. You need adb and fastboot. If it will boot up, you need to go into settings/developer options and turn on USB debugging and OEM unlocking. Then you can unlock your bootloader and use fastboot to flash a factory image

I've never played around with the root or anything like that, never been under the hood as such.

It looked official, my tablet said there was an android update, so I let it get to it, but after the update, I got stuck in this crash loop.
How do I turn on USB debugging and OEM unlocking?

Upvote 0
Well it gets better.

Tablet is now seen as an unknown device on my machine.
Still broken?

Your initial problem sounds exactly like the issue I had where the OTA sideload was the fix. From your last post it sounds like you have the incorrect driver on the computer. Also, if I recall correctly, my device did NOT show up in ADB devices until I entered into the "Apply update from ADB". Just keep that in mind.

If you already have the wugfresh Nexus Root Toolkit installed, take a look at the Full Driver Installation Guide there and try to follow those directions exactly. If you don't want to install NRT, I'd suggest uninstalling any existing drivers associated with your device and try re-installing the google drivers.

This thread may also be helpful to you. Best of luck my friend!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones