• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bricked or just bad luck?

rivethead23

Aug 25, 2011
I decided to switch up ROMS since I was having some stability issues with Midnight and last night flashed Mobster w/ sense. It seemed to go fine, however I noticed that once in the ROM Leedroid tweaks wouldn't work. I then remembered I forgot to wipe system (even tho it appears to have). So I went into 4ext and wiped everything but SD card. Reflashed Mobster 2.12 with sense and phone booted up fine. Restored some apps and set up some things. Went to bed and left phone on charge.

In the morning I went to work and on break I did a little surfing and played a game for a min or two. Since everything looked good, I did a backup via 4ext. Rebooted the phone after doing backup and I saw the HTC screen and set it down. Came back about 20 minutes later to use it and it wouldn't wake up. I can't say whether it rebooted fully mind you. I pulled the battery and tried to turn on - no luck. Plugged into charger and the red light doesn't turn on. Tried another charger same thing. It's completely dead.

You think it's a software brick or did the hardware just happen to die? I am thinking since the battery doesn't even seem to charge the phone hardware is broke...

I'm concerned about sending it back because it's running a non-stock rom and recovery. It was still S-on however, and I thought that would supposedly protect the vital areas of the phone.

I decided to switch up ROMS since I was having some stability issues with Midnight and last night flashed Mobster w/ sense. It seemed to go fine, however I noticed that once in the ROM Leedroid tweaks wouldn't work. I then remembered I forgot to wipe system (even tho it appears to have). So I went into 4ext and wiped everything but SD card. Reflashed Mobster 2.12 with sense and phone booted up fine. Restored some apps and set up some things. Went to bed and left phone on charge.

In the morning I went to work and on break I did a little surfing and played a game for a min or two. Since everything looked good, I did a backup via 4ext. Rebooted the phone after doing backup and I saw the HTC screen and set it down. Came back about 20 minutes later to use it and it wouldn't wake up. I can't say whether it rebooted fully mind you. I pulled the battery and tried to turn on - no luck. Plugged into charger and the red light doesn't turn on. Tried another charger same thing. It's completely dead.

You think it's a software brick or did the hardware just happen to die? I am thinking since the battery doesn't even seem to charge the phone hardware is broke...

I'm concerned about sending it back because it's running a non-stock rom and recovery. It was still S-on however, and I thought that would supposedly protect the vital areas of the phone.
is it recognized by adb in you computer

Reactions: JLtech
Upvote 0

I think that having s-on instead of "protecting" you it seems to cause some compatibility issues, obviously when attempting to flash a custom kernel . 4EXT helps here but it's not 100 %. IMHO I found having s- off makes life much simpler and easier. Good luck dude.

Upvote 0
@rivethead23, did you get to solved your problem?

No, tried two different ways of "fixing" the phone. While in windows the phone gets detected but under Linux on two different computers I can't get the phone to even be seen.

BTW I got a replacement on Saturday it's one that has no sprint logo on it, and Virgin Mobile on the back. The new phone is getting 3-4 bars all the time whereas the old phone got 1-2 and was constantly dropping to 1x. I know people keep saying there is not difference, but it makes me wonder if there is something different about "virgin mobile" branded ones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones