• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bricked - Out of idea's.

If you cannot get even an unknown device to show up in device manager (and stay visible for an extended period while plugged into pc), also try removing battery, then plugging into pc and watch device manager at that time. Not necessarily expecting a different result there but if it's in one of the qualcomm diag modes that may help it to stay steady.

Upvote 0
No luck.

The furthest I've gotten is plugging the phone into "download mode" even though I can't see anything because it's blank, I get a "installing device driver" and under portable devices in device manager I see LGE Android MTP Device but it's X'ed out because the driver install fails until I scan for hardware changes then it looks good while it tries to install drivers again and then get's X'ed out again.

I did get a device pop up under modems, it reads LGE mobile USB modem after un-installing the LG drivers and re-installing.

I also took the sim card out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well if it showed a screen that said "fastboot mode" then at least we know that the display is working.

I'm not familiar with LGs, and as they stopped making phones that's unlikely to change, but in general fastboot mode is good, since that's the mode you'll need to reflash the system. You'll need a different driver on your PC, since the device is not running android and so will have different protocols, but a Web search for LG fastboot driver should find you something. Fastboot itself is a command line program you have to install on the computer, which you can then use to flash firmware to the phone.

The catch is the details, since I'm not familiar with LGs. You say you tried to flash it, but what tool did you use to do that? Do you already have the firmware in a zip file, or is it wrapped up in some other package (e.g. HTC used to release windows .exes which contained the firmware they would flash), and if so what is it called? If we are lucky someone who knows LG will see this, but otherwise this information may give us some clues as to where to start.

Also as I know LG released different versions of some phones, do you have the full model number just in case?

Reactions: AugieTN and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
My guess is being an LG phone it did the whole bootlooping thing, OP installed or tried to sideload the wrong variant firmware and ended up in one dilly of a pickle.

LG bootloops are the result of NAND failure, and have been an issue since the G4 (and this is what EOL'd LG in the phone space) and I highly doubt that simply re-flashing the original firmware would fix what is basically a hardware failure.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones