1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Bricked rooted Evo 4g.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nikkw0ng, Jul 15, 2011.

1. nikkw0ng

nikkw0ng Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Hey have a quick question. Just got my evo replaced by asurion & I rooted with unrevoked 3 for dummies. I only rooted it to install wireless tether.. so that's the entire extent of my rooting. Phone was working okay for a few days but stopped turning on, at first only loading to boot screen but now it won't turn on at all. Won't even show charging light when plugged into wall/usb. Can't get it into bootloader screen either. I think it's bricked. Can I feel safe taking my phone to the sprint store to ask for a new one, or will they be able to know my phone is rooted in any way (since this voids my warranty), or is there something else I should do? Thanx in advance. :)

Advertisement

2. esthernrob

esthernrob Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    i deliver the nectar of the gods, BEER!
    Upstate, NY
    you may have gotten a bad replacement.... :mad: was the replacement brand new or refurb'ed....

EDIT - welcome to the forums, by the way... :)
    you can try charging the battery externally, see perhaps if it's the battery and / or the phone usb port on the phone... if it's the phone, and you can get the battery charged externally, you can unroot before going to sprint...

3. nikkw0ng

nikkw0ng Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    it was refurbished.. I suppose that could be the problem as opposed to the rooting! Or in addition

4. nikkw0ng

nikkw0ng Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Oh thanks you :) I've been on here for forever just never really posted but that's changing today lol. I don't think the battery is the problem either. I have 6 batteries all with full charges and none of them seem to work. I just don't want to go to the store and then have them tell me they won't replace it because of the root lol.

5. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    As long as the phone is truely bricked and won't boot to bootloader or recovery, there'z no way for anyone to know it's rooted. Well, unless you tell them.

6. esthernrob

esthernrob Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    i deliver the nectar of the gods, BEER!
    Upstate, NY
    +1

7. ilgoldstein

ilgoldstein Lurker
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    If you just got the phone from Asurion, I'd call them and tell them it stopped working. You shouldn't have to explain anything -- it won't turn on. Beware, you might get an unrootable (for now) version.

8. alyssataylor62

None

Dec 6, 2010
    Hey there, one issue that is common with the evo, is the poor design of the charging port. It just pops right off the board! Mine did. Also, do not drop it from even 2" and let it land on the lower left corner, the digitizer will shatter, as did mine! Some really bad luck! Never had so many problems with a phone, and yet loved it so much. LOL

9. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    A good rubberized case works to keep it safe(body glove for mine). Make sure to pull straight out on the usb cable and don't bent or twist it when plugged in. Should help keep from breaking it.

10. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    I am actually incredibly anxious about the usb port. I'm always afraid that by some form of bad luck it will break. Glad I have a case though. And I try to be extra careful around it when the usb is plugged it.

11. ZBone1996

ZBone1996 Newbie
    None

Dec 1, 2011
Tags: