• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bricked Tab 10.1 after using Kies

DroidAbuser

Feb 15, 2012
All-

Here is the short version of the story...I was using Kies on an older pc and in the middle of the new firmware update and it was not doing anything after 2 hours...so I figured something was wrong and I attempted to quit the update. Well after disconnecting the device, I am now stuck in a mode stating "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue, please select recovery mode in Kies and try again"?

So I attempted to connect it back up with Kies today and now Kies is not recognizing the device? What do I do?

I was going to go ahead and go into "Download" mode..(which I think is Power and Volume Down) and try to install from ODIN but I don't know what I am doing enough to do that.....I have never used ODIN before so not sure where to get the download or instructions to completed the task...

I tried looking on samfirmware for the file but I do not see a US Version listed....I am in the US with a 10.1 wifi only tab...please HELP :)

Thanks,
Michael

All-

Here is the short version of the story...I was using Kies on an older pc and in the middle of the new firmware update and it was not doing anything after 2 hours...so I figured something was wrong and I attempted to quit the update. Well after disconnecting the device, I am now stuck in a mode stating "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue, please select recovery mode in Kies and try again"?

So I attempted to connect it back up with Kies today and now Kies is not recognizing the device? What do I do?

I was going to go ahead and go into "Download" mode..(which I think is Power and Volume Down) and try to install from ODIN but I don't know what I am doing enough to do that.....I have never used ODIN before so not sure where to get the download or instructions to completed the task...

I tried looking on samfirmware for the file but I do not see a US Version listed....I am in the US with a 10.1 wifi only tab...please HELP :)

Thanks,
Michael

Using ODIN is dead simple.

1. Download firmware from here file and if it a ZIP or RAR file decomplress it and you should a tar.md5 file.
2. Install Samsung drivers.
3. Download ODIN.
4. Open ODIN, make sure re-partition IS NOT CHECKED.
5. Make sure Auto reboot and F. Reset Time ARE CHECKED
6. Click PDA button and choose the tar.md5 file.
7. Put SGT into Download mode and connect. Drivers should be installed.
8. You should see the COM port SGT is connected on go yellow.
9. Click START in ODIN and wait.

I did it the first time instaling ICS firmware and only after one time I was 100% confident when doing it on my SGS3.

P.S. Your tablet is already broken, not much toworry about right now

Reactions: DroidAbuser
Upvote 0
Using ODIN is dead simple.

1. Download firmware from here file and if it a ZIP or RAR file decomplress it and you should a tar.md5 file.
2. Install Samsung drivers.
3. Download ODIN.
4. Open ODIN, make sure re-partition IS NOT CHECKED.
5. Make sure Auto reboot and F. Reset Time ARE CHECKED
6. Click PDA button and choose the tar.md5 file.
7. Put SGT into Download mode and connect. Drivers should be installed.
8. You should see the COM port SGT is connected on go yellow.
9. Click START in ODIN and wait.

I did it the first time instaling ICS firmware and only after one time I was 100% confident when doing it on my SGS3.

P.S. Your tablet is already broken, not much toworry about right now

First thank for your help...and not to sound like a complete idiot...I have the following questions about the things you listed in your post:

1. The link for the firmware just takes me to samMobile and not a specific download file? Not sure what file exactly to download?

2. I assume I get the "Samsung Drivers" from online...samsung.com or something?

3. Where do you download ODIN...just look online and it should be listed somewhere...just do a google search for ODIN and go with it I assume?

Again, sorry for the stupid questions but I have never done this before...always just waited for the OTA but my curiosity got the best of me this time I guess :(

Thanks again....
Michael

Upvote 0
You should be able to find Odin using Google.
On the Sammobile site, the US version is there. You have to register like you did here.
After you're logged in, there's a tab you select that will bring up the firmware files page.
Once there, you should be able to get the right file (you enter device, OS, country, that kind of stuff).
The files for your device will then be listed and you can then download the one you need.
If you have Kies installed on your computer, the drivers should also be installed (Kies installs them).
If not, you can download the drivers file from Samsung.
Then follow Szadzik's instructions.
It's very easy. I did it for the first time a week or so ago, and had no problems.
If I can do it, anyone can.

Reactions: DroidAbuser
Upvote 0
My Tab got bricked when I tried to update to ICS from the update that was on Kies (before it was available OTA).

I did everything right but for some reason it didn't install ICS properly and it was never able to start it up. It never got past the initial Samsung animation screen. I considered using Odin to fix it (as I could get into the Download mode) but decided to just send it off the Samsung. The whole fixing process took just a little over one real (not working) week and my Tab came back working perfectly, except it had been wiped and they only bothered to flash Honeycomb back on rather than ICS like I requested. I installed ICS via OTA and it worked fine.

If you don't mind losing the tab for a week or so then I'd recommend sending it off. I'm in the UK btw.

Upvote 0
My Tab got bricked when I tried to update to ICS from the update that was on Kies (before it was available OTA).

I did everything right but for some reason it didn't install ICS properly and it was never able to start it up. It never got past the initial Samsung animation screen. I considered using Odin to fix it (as I could get into the Download mode) but decided to just send it off the Samsung. The whole fixing process took just a little over one real (not working) week and my Tab came back working perfectly, except it had been wiped and they only bothered to flash Honeycomb back on rather than ICS like I requested. I installed ICS via OTA and it worked fine.

If you don't mind losing the tab for a week or so then I'd recommend sending it off. I'm in the UK btw.

No need to send it for servicing if it can be fixed in 30 minutes at home :)

Upvote 0
No need to send it for servicing if it can be fixed in 30 minutes at home :)
I agree.
I had never used Odin before, but I used it and the Italy 3G model firmware to flash my Tab to ICS. That version includes several regions including UK which is fine for me. It works great and no more Rogers carrier bloatware on my 3G tablet. And it also has the UK english dictionary with spelling for many words that the US version lacks.
I'm a happy camper.
:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones