• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bricked?

Hey guys!

I was given an LG Volt 2, and I believe it's bricked. Is there anyway I can recover it? I have tried to get into download mode, but it is not getting recognized through my computer (Windows 10). I was able to get into stock recovery, but not sure what to do from there (already tried wiping it too). The error with and without download mode is "Secure booting error error code 1006"

I think it's toast but thought I would ask first. I also attached a picture.

Thanks, Travis
IMG_0448[1].JPG

Yes! This is a secure booting error! But, you would need download mode to fix it. See, LG has a special download mode that with a proper tool has a full root shell. It allowed me to grab a boot.img from another phone, and push it via download mode.

Are your LG drivers downloaded? Try fastboot. Sometimes if download mode crashes fastboot kicks in, and if you didn't wipe it you have a good chance of flashing it via fastboot.

Open your windows OS, CONNECT A STOCK CORD!!! It needs to be a data transfer cord, otherwise it doesn't get assigned a data port. It just charges. Open on your windows OS, Device Manager, and check for anything different. Like QCOM, or Qualcomm, or LG, or LGE. If you have a unknown device, right click it, and send a screenshot.

Thanks!

Reactions: FootballFan141
Upvote 0
I saw your reply to my other post and yes I think it's just a boot loop, I downloaded the universal drivers directly from LG, but when I hold volume up and connect the cord (it has data transfer I tested on another device to be sure), it just keeps rebooting and nothing shows in device manager either. I keep holding the volume button but I let go of it when it reboots. I contacted LG to see if there was an official update.zip to flash in stock recovery, but they said only LG techs could do that..

Thanks for getting back to me. :)

EDIT: Should I try Linux or a Mac?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I saw your reply to my other post and yes I think it's just a boot loop, I downloaded the universal drivers directly from LG, but when I hold volume up and connect the cord (it has data transfer I tested on another device to be sure), it just keeps rebooting and nothing shows in device manager either. I keep holding the volume button but I let go of it when it reboots. I contacted LG to see if there was an official update.zip to flash in stock recovery, but they said only LG techs could do that..

Thanks for getting back to me. :)

EDIT: Should I try Linux or a Mac?
Well windows is the only OS with the tool we need. When you plugged it in you held the volume yo button right?
1) Pull the battery
2) keeping the battery pulled, hold the home button (this just makes sure nothing is still flowing)
3) 30 seconds wait time....
4)Put the battery back
5)Hold the volume up, and plug the cord into your phone (and your PC)
6) Keep holding it until download mode appears.
Tell me what happens. Also check your device manager after that. Send a screenshot of your device manager because it could be identified as something else. It is in a bootloader state so something has to come up.

Upvote 0
Well windows is the only OS with the tool we need. When you plugged it in you held the volume yo button right?
1) Pull the battery
2) keeping the battery pulled, hold the home button (this just makes sure nothing is still flowing)
3) 30 seconds wait time....
4)Put the battery back
5)Hold the volume up, and plug the cord into your phone (and your PC)
6) Keep holding it until download mode appears.
Tell me what happens. Also check your device manager after that. Send a screenshot of your device manager because it could be identified as something else. It is in a bootloader state so something has to come up.

Ok I did all that and I attached the screenshot, if you need a section opened in device manager let me know.

device_manager.png

Upvote 0
Yeah... This is weird. Can you ask the guy you got it from how this happened?

He tried to bypass download mode to use fastboot and then tried to undo it. Not sure why he would do that.. I think I've seen it mentioned at the XDA forums.
I have seen some 'JTAG boxes for Android', not sure if that would fix a bootloop though.
Thanks for helping to try and figure this out :)

Upvote 0
<font color ='#9e9e9e'>iowabowtech </font>
<font color ='#9e9e9e'>That message seems off even for LG. Look at the spelling errors in the original screenshot. Volum with no e at the end. Untill with 2 L's. I've seen some funky stuff with LG over the years but that's a red flag IMO. </font>

I noticed that too but didn't think anything about it :O

Might as well just trash it. Didn't pay for it anyway..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones