1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Brightness and Battery Consumption?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AmgedIsmail, May 4, 2012.

1. AmgedIsmail

AmgedIsmail Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 18, 2012
    Does the brightness of the screen affect the battery consumption?
    My brother has advised me to make the brightness the highest so I can see the camera while I am taking photos in the sun...

I told him it decreases the battery life faster.. Is that really??

Advertisement

2. kct1975

kct1975 Android Expert
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    Male
    NoVA
    To the best of my knowledge, yes, screen brightness does drain the battery.

Personally I have the screen brightness on my HTC EVO manually set to about half. When I am outdoors for an extended period, however, I set the screen brightness to Auto so the phone will adjust the brightness fully up when I am in the sun and adjust it down slightly when I am in the shade or go indoors briefly.

So my personal suggestion is to manually set your screen brightness to the lowest level you can comfortably see it indoors and at night, and then switch to Auto Brightness when you are outdoors in the sun. You can the switch it back to the lower manual setting when your are indoors.

Also as a best practice for getting better battery life is only using the various antennas when you need them.
    I suggest turning of unneeded antenna manually. For example, when you are at home using WiFi, shut off your 4G antenna. Conversely, when your are away from WiFi, shut off your WiFi antenna and only use your 3G/4G antenna.
    Also only keep your GPS on when you are outdoors, and only keep your Bluetooth antenna on when your are using a Bluetooth device.

3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Yeah setting the screen to full brightness will use more power. The screen is the biggest power consumer on the s2. Even set at minimum brightness it will likely be at the top of the battery usage stats.

Edit: nice ninja, better answer.

4. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Yes. Higher brightness means higher battery consumption.

Just change the brightness when you are outside in the sun. Fastest way is to press on the notification bar right at the top of the phone. Swyping right increases brightness and left decreases. You will not get accurate to the percentage, but its quick enough that you can do it on the go....

Cheers

5. AmgedIsmail

None

Mar 18, 2012
    What do you mean by swyping/swiping right and left?
    I did that and nothing happens.
    I can only swipe/swap up and down to close and open the notification screen.

6. Russell Ng

None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Keep trying. Touch the notification bar, don't let go and move your finger to the right or left. Must be right at the black bar where all the icons are.

Cheers

7. AmgedIsmail

None

Mar 18, 2012
    Yea but this way I will not know how much brightness I have increased or decreased.

8. Russell Ng

None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Already mentioned its a shortcut. Its when you just want to increase the brightness quickly like when you are outside and forgot to change the brightness settings. You can always go into the settings to make changes after that.

Although you don't exactly have to be that particular about what percentage of brightness is being used as long as its comfortable to be used, do you? You could always get a widget off google play to control brightness if you want one on the homescreen.

9. GG1

GG1 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Good thing to mention is that it only works when auto brightness is turned off.

10. late8

late8 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    What many don't know is that OLED burns MORE power than LCD brightness wise.
    On White it burns a lot of power... A good tip is to have a darker wallpaper and reduce the brightness on the web browser settings as this burns juice.

11. Russell Ng

None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    True. But I never use auto brightness. When indoors and with the lights on like in my office, I find it's a little too bright. Waste battery. I intentionally keep it at 20% to 25% brightness and adjust when necessary.