• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Brightness changes on notification bar.

If you open the notification all the way down, then you shouldn't have the problem. But if you hold onto it and rapidly move it up and down, then it will change the brightness.

It could be a bug or a TouchWiz thing. I think it's part of TouchWiz because they have settings shortcuts inside of notifications, so this might be one of those quick settings ability they implemented. I don't have the manual with me to see if it's true or not, but that's what I'm assuming.

Upvote 0
When I have the Vibrant's brightness set manually on 0, whenever I slide the notification bar down the brightness jumps to 80%. Anyone else have this problem?

I would prefer the brightness to light up when I pull down the notification bar. I don't think it's a problem. If it didn't light up, that would be the problem.

Oh, I see what you mean now. Hmmmm.....interesting.:thinking:

Upvote 0
I've noticed the brightness seems to increase when the phone displays something white or really light like in web browsing or Market. Not sure if the phone is ramping up brightness or whites are so bright on this phone.

I have a brightness app that I use to turn off auto brightness and it still seems to get brighter when I open light backgrounds. I don't know anything about displays, but maybe OLED needs to up the power of the backlight to display light backgrounds (affecting total brightness)?

Upvote 0
I have a brightness app that I use to turn off auto brightness and it still seems to get brighter when I open light backgrounds. I don't know anything about displays, but maybe OLED needs to up the power of the backlight to display light backgrounds (affecting total brightness)?

Actually, OLED doesn't use backlights. Each pixel is, effectively, it's own light source. That's why blacks look so black on OLED displays. They are completely powered off and there is no backlighting. Since black pixels are actually "off" (or close to that), what you see as increased brightness on whites might just be that -- white IS in fact, brighter on OLED screens.

Also, I can verify that sliding the notification bar right increases brightness and to the left decreases it. Thought this was a bug as well, but now I can see the utility in it! No need to go through Settings -> Sound and Display -> Brightness and adjust a slider. Just slide your finger at the top of the phone to instantly change brightness!

Upvote 0
If you open the notification all the way down, then you shouldn't have the problem. But if you hold onto it and rapidly move it up and down, then it will change the brightness.

It could be a bug or a TouchWiz thing. I think it's part of TouchWiz because they have settings shortcuts inside of notifications, so this might be one of those quick settings ability they implemented. I don't have the manual with me to see if it's true or not, but that's what I'm assuming.

user manual download : http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...bile_SGH-T959_Vibrant_English_User_Manual.pdf

Upvote 0
i'm getting the same problem on my samsung captivate, but i can't replicate the issue by opening the notification bar half way and then sliding it left and right. this problem is really annoying. it would be fine if the brightness went to the set level upon closing the drawer but it doesn't. sounds like a bug to me since i can't replicate this issue everytime.

Upvote 0
ok wow. just figured it out. if open the drawer just a little bit where just the bottom of the pulldown bar is showing and move it left and right (like a slider), you can instantaneously adjust the brightness.

now that i know how this works, i can see the utility of it. but i'm still wondering if there is a way to turn it off?

Upvote 0
So I'm having the opposite problem as what the thread says.

I put my screen on highest brightness, and I turn power saving off. Meaning I want my phone to be forced to ALWAYS display the highest brightness. But sure enough, when my battery gets low, the Vibrant insists on putting my phone on the lowest brightness, even though power saving mode is turned off. So then I go look at my brightness bar, sure enough the brightness bar is on 100 percent, but the phone looks dimily lit. As soon as I move the brightness bar, it gets instantly bright, so I set the brightness bar back to 100. Sure enough, the phone again makes my screen dim.

Anyone else noticing that your phone forces your screen to automatically set onto lowest brightness when the battery is low, even when you specifically told the phone to turn off power saving mode.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones