• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Brightness control widget that works for Hero?

dvdqnoc

Android Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2009
Is there a brightness control widget that works for the Hero? I disabled the auto-brightness because it sucks. But ever brightness widget I see in the Market, a commenter below says it doesnt work on the Hero... and its an automatically back button click after that.

So just wondering if anyone has come across one that works for the Hero? Hopefully with good functionality, like slider bar or something?

Not yet. Something HTC enabled/tweaked allows apps to change their own brightness, but not the system brightness.

I'm really hoping this is something that gets fixed in updates, it's a PITA to have to browse through the settings menu to change it. I've actually gone back to auto-brightness because it was less annoying.

This is one of those things I've been meaning to dig around for in the system now that I'm rooted, so perhaps I or one of the other devs will find a fix of sorts. Hopefully one that doesn't require root, but that seems unlikely so far.

Upvote 0
Hate to say I told you so, but you're not going to find a market app that does this properly.

The trouble is, the phone is not honoring the completely valid brightness change on a system-wide level. As soon as you exit the program that changed the brightness, the brightness is reset by one of HTC's modified system daemons.

For this to work, someone would have to write a Sprint Hero specific app, which isn't worth the time as a developer usually, and may not actually be possible depending on the underlying issue.

I haven't heard any rumor of this getting fixed in the 'bugfix' patch, but generally not everything in a patch is really advertised.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to let folks know that I just released an app called Brightness Rocker which lets you adjust screen brightness from any app. You can just press the volume buttons and that will display a brightness control, no matter what app you're in. Brightness Rocker also includes a home-screen widget and notification bar icon for controlling brightness.

It comes in Lite (free) and Pro versions, both available on the Android Market. More info can be found at Brightness Rocker for Android - by Nikhil Bhatla.

Hopefully some people will find this useful. Works best in Android 2.2, and more slowly in Android 1.5-2.1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones