1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Broke my LCD...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CADman_KS, Jun 9, 2013.

1. CADman_KS

CADman_KS Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    I had my phone in my pocket tonite, and was rolling around the shop on a creeper. At some point, I must have rolled over on my side, and somehow managed to crack the LCD, but NOT the front glass.

The front glass is all still in one piece. I can't believe that I was able to break the LCD without cracking the glass. If you know what you're looking at, you can tell that the LCD is cracked, but it actually looks like not much happens when you power on the phone. It's just kind of all jumbled up, and showing weird colors.

I'm assuming that it's not even worth taking it to Verizon and see what they say, or is it? I still can't believe that it's somehow possible to break the LCD without breaking the front glass. Maybe Verizon will have a good day, and replace it? Wishful thinking?

I have only had this phone for about 6 months, so it's that new, and I'm inside the "normal" Motorola warranty.

I'd change the thing myself if I could find a replacement, but so far I haven't found just the LCD by itself. It's the whole front assembly, and that thing costs around $200!

Any thoughts?

CADman_ks

Advertisement

2. usnrma

usnrma Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2009
    Department of Homeland Security
    Greer, SC
    I had the same thing happen last week. They wanted to have me replace it under Assurian warranty. There had been an error on my upgrade and warranty got dropped. I have been with Verizon and it's predecessors for more than 15 years so they eventually allowed me to replace the phone at the warranty deductible price of 99 in store, as they saw that the warranty had been there before upgrade. It was a new purchase and they told me that they only allow this for purchases from Verizon stores under extreme circumstances. Hope it helps

3. CADman_KS

CADman_KS Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    We've been long time Verizon (Alltel) customers as well, so we'll see how that goes. We have a local store that has been great to work with. Unfortunately for me, I've never had insurance on ANY phone, ever. Always took my chances.

So far, I've always won that battle, because I've been able to buy "cheap" parts when the phone breaks and fix it myself. But, one thing that I didn't mention about this phone, was that I bought the MAXX HD at FULL price, out of contract, so I'm out a LOT more money than the contract price up front, and now I would have to spend an additional ~$300 to replace the front of the phone.

Were I probably went wrong in this whole thing was that I didn't consider getting insurance, even though I paid full price. I should have thought that thru a little more.

This is good information though, and I appreciate the help!!!

CADman_ks

4. CADman_KS

CADman_KS Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    I'd put insurance on the phone today, and for the life of the phone, IF they would let me fix it for $99!!! LOL...

CADman_ks

5. CADman_KS

CADman_KS Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Well, as expected, the news wasn't good at the Verizon store.

Played dumb, and they noticed that the screen was cracked. Asked me if I had dropped it, and I said no, which was NOT a lie. I had not dropped it. Something else has happened to it, but it was not dropped.

Couldn't get them to pony up for a $99 Assurion deal, so I had them reinstate my OG Droid.

This is gonna be painful.

But now, for whatever reason, I suspect that there's more wrong with the HD than I originally thought. I thought that I would be able to get all of my photos and stuff off of the phone, but when I plug it into the computer, the computer sees the device, but nothing is there. So, now all that's gone as well.

BUT, to add more insult to injury, as if I haven't had enough the last two days, the guy helping us (really nice guy) said that if and when upgrade, we will lose our unlimited data that we've had since we've had smart phones. This does NOT make me happy at all. Not for sure what we're going to do about this one...

CADman_ks

6. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Android Expert

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    Film/TV Attorney
    Whistler BC and Los Angeles
    Try Air Droid to access your stuff on the phone. Worth the free d/l.

If you pay retail for a phone, you can keep unlimited data.

7. CADman_KS

CADman_KS Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks for the tip, but I think that I'm hosed there, because I've already deactivated that phone... Drats...

Yeah, I've been reading up on that. I don't think that's gonna happen. I paid full retail for THIS phone, and have only had it for 6 months, and now it's toast. I realize NOW that I should have probably had insurance it, but it's never really been an issue in the past.

And, at the end of the day, I'm pretty much hosed on carriers. We have some choices, but Verizon in our area is by far and away the best, unfortunately...

CADman_ks

8. CADman_KS

CADman_KS Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    As it turns out, I'm doubly hosed here. Phone is not only deactivated, but I need to install an app on the phone, and I can't do anything on the phone, because I can't see the screen. It is black all the time...

I'm hosed.

Thanks for the idea though. Worth a shot!!!

CADman_ks

9. hansangb

hansangb Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 17, 2009

Are you using Windows 7 or XP? I know that XP users have been having issues accessing the SD files. But with Win 7 (and the right cable) you should not have any issues. Remember to try different cables. I tried two before I dragged the motorola's original cable. It worked then. The previews two cables were for some cheap chargers that I got for free from various vendors.

10. CADman_KS

CADman_KS Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Win 7, and I have used this cable in the past to successfully get stuff off of the phone. Shortly before I broke the phone, I had enabled USB debugging for some program that I had installed (don't recall what it was). I wonder if that's messing with it now. I was pretty sure that I was able to still see all of the files on a laptop, though, even after debugging was turned on.

I'll try it on that laptop, and some other cables, to see if the results are the same...

Thanks for the tip!

CADman_ks

11. aaronmach1

aaronmach1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    michigan, usa
    i just ordered the max hd last night. I gotta ask, when you cracked the screen was it in your pocket with the screen against your leg or screen toward the outside of your pants?
    im hoping you say facing away from your leg. I always have my phone screen aginst my leg to protect it some. I hope the maxx hd screen isnt this weak. Im coming from the bionic with no issues.
    sorry to hear.

12. CADman_KS

CADman_KS Newbie
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    ALWAYS screen to my LEG. I am absolutely anal about that.

That's why it surprises me that the LCD broke.

I had an original RAZR before this phone, and I never had any issues with it. My daughter still has that phone, and she's a LOT harder on it than I ever was, and it still hasn't broke.

I actually broke the LCD in TWO places, and completely across the entire screen in both places. I don't know if I somehow rolled over it, and it twisted and broke, or what happened??? The outside structure of this phone is stout, so I wouldn't think that it could twist all that much.

For me, it's just really sickening that this phone broke. This is by far and away, the BEST phone that I have ever owned. I have really enjoyed it, and there really isn't anything about it that I haven't liked. Screen was amazing, speed was amazing, 4G was amazing, battery life was amazing...

I think that you'll be good with the phone, but I think had I known that it may be that fragile, I may have NOT had it in my pocket that night, and done things differently. Hind sight is always 20/20...

CADman_ks