• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help broken after software update com.android.systemui has stopped

Jason71

Aug 5, 2009
Shropshire UK
A friend of mine just asked me to look at his Moto G stopped working over the weekend. It looks like there has been a software update, although he did not deliberately authorise it. Boot animation has changed. Includes spotlights and yetis. then the message "Android is updating appears updating apps 1 of 1". After this the lock screen appears as normal but when you unlock you get the message. "Unfortunatly, the process com.android.systemui has stopped" and that is it. you can get no further. it just goes back to the lock screen. Behind that it all seems to be working correctly. wifi connected, text message icons etc.
recovery mode does not seem to offer any soltutions either. Any suggestions appreciated if only to get the data off the phone before returning it?

If it was a carrier OTA update bring it to the carrier's nearest support facility. They break it, they fix it. If the update doesn't assume that the update software may fail in the middle of an update, or the battery may die, it's their fault if the software failure or dying battery broke the phone.

As far as getting data off it, if USB debugging isn't on, there's not much chance, unless the carrier has a box that can do it.

Upvote 0
Did you try a factory reset?
Obviously that could only be attempted through recovery since the main UI is unavailable. Trying the "Factory" option in the recovery Menu just reboots it into normal mode. and then you are back to the lock screen.
Selecting the "recovery" option in the recovery menu brings up Andy with triangle and red exclamation mark on his chest and that is that.

Upvote 0
If it was a carrier OTA update bring it to the carrier's nearest support facility. They break it, they fix it. If the update doesn't assume that the update software may fail in the middle of an update, or the battery may die, it's their fault if the software failure or dying battery broke the phone.

As far as getting data off it, if USB debugging isn't on, there's not much chance, unless the carrier has a box that can do it.

It is sim free from Phones 4 U in the UK so it would have been a Motorola update which from what I have read was just a fancy new boot animation just for the hell of it. Ironically the new boot animation is now the only part of the phone that works. Its very pretty yeti, aliens and Lock Ness monster et all but probably not worth loosing your entire phone for!!!!
He doesn't even recall consciously authorizing the update at all and I would hope the update process included a minimum battery level check.
I think it is basically stuck mid update and I think he is resigned to sending back to Moto at this point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones