1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Broken charger?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tmette, Jan 21, 2013.

1. tmette

tmette Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    IT
    Illinois
    I got a Droid Razr Maxx HD over Christmas and am now running into problems charging it. I hope it's more of the charging block (part that plugs into the wall) rather than the phone itself. This weekend if I plugged it into ANY outlet from two different houses, a blue banner would come up saying to disconnect it from charging device to save energy? Then I noticed that there wasn't a lightning bolt in the battery icon, meaning it wasn't charging at all. After a couple of seconds it would disappear and then start charging, but then change back.

My friend has a Droid Razr HD and his charger is different than mine, which I thought was a little weird. My charger is square and comes with two USB ports on the face of it. His charger worked and was charging my phone. I also know that it's not the cable because I'm charging it through computers right now since it's the only way. Yesterday I plugged it into a desktop computer at 19% left on the battery. Took a nap for about 2.5 hours and came back and it was only at 35%? Does it seriously take this long to charge through USB? Or is there something completely wrong with my battery?

Advertisement

2. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Android Expert

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    Film/TV Attorney
    Whistler BC and Los Angeles
    1. My charger is the same as yours, a block with two USB ports. If your friend's charger works, then it appears that your charger is bad. Take it to a Verizon store and try another. They will hopefully give you a new one on the spot.

2. USB charging is substantially slower than from the wall, but I don't know how long it would take for a full charge.

tmette likes this.
  3. tmette

tmette Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    IT
    Illinois
    I think I'll run by the Verizon store here in town tonight and see if they will replace it. I really don't think I should have to pay for it so hopefully they will replace it for free. I've only had the phone for about 1 month anyways.

4. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Android Expert

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    Film/TV Attorney
    Whistler BC and Los Angeles
    That's a warranty item. You could also call VZW before you go and have them confirm the bad charger, note it in the file so when you go to the store a warranty replacement has already been authorized. But that call burns more of your time.

5. tmette

tmette Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    IT
    Illinois
    This is a good point. I wonder if I can just call VZ customer service and get a new one sent out to me? That way I won't have to drive into town and pick up a new one. I don't really care how fast it gets here. The cable still works fine and I have a computer near me all day throughout the week.