1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Broken glass and discoloured screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mclemme, Feb 4, 2011.

1. mclemme

mclemme Newbie

I'm so clumsy that I dropped my Desire today :(

[​IMG]

This created 3-4 cracks in the glass, I can't feel the cracks on the surface so I think the outer layer is ok. I called a local repair shop, they want 1200DKK (~220USD) to replace the glass. But do I need the LCD replaced as well or will this purple/green/black discoloring go away when the glass is replaced?

Edit: My Desire is the one with an OLED display

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

thats a rip off, get another quote
    you can by a device second hand for that price

what did you drop it on? i would have thought the rubber sleve would have protected the face from hitting the floor

3. mclemme

mclemme Newbie

I know the price is a bit steep, it's the HTC appointed service centre here in Denmark. It's a company phone so I'm not paying. But it would be nice to find a cheap local place so I don't have to wait the extra time because of shipping, handling, etc.

I dropped it on the linoleum floor in our office, it landed on it's side/back, I think it was the speed of the fall that killed the glass. I moved my hand pretty fast and accidentally hit the phone :mad:

4. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

thats bad news dude
    thats happened to me a few times, ive got a tough case but still ive feared the worst

5. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

Probably cheaper to give you a new phone and they can write off the insurance! ;)

6. mclemme

mclemme Newbie

It's getting worse and worse, almost can't read what's on the screen now, it's all dark purple :(

Think both the glass and the OLED screen is bust, pretty sure going to be almost as expensive to repair it as a new one costs (2999DKK ~= 550USD). Maybe I'll just wait till the next cool android phone comes along and get that. If I can survive with my HTC Hero in the meantime :(

7. mclemme

mclemme Newbie

Yeah, except that the excess (not sure if it's the right English word, it's the amount you have to pay yourself in an insurance case) is ~3500DKK (500DKK more than a new desire costs) :rolleyes:

8. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

That sucks! :(

9. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

The glass is a separate layer called the digitiser. That looks like its the screen itself. Replacing the glass wont help. It needs a new screen (if they can get one) but if the glass is cracked, that will need replacing too, but I doubt it is.

mclemme likes this.
  10. mclemme

mclemme Newbie

Thanks for the info. I found a desire teardown guide with lots of pictures to compare with my own phone and confirm it.

I took a close look at the pictures and at my own Desire, it looks 99.9% like it's the part on the right of the following picture (from the teardown guide) which has the cracks, as the surface (digitiser) is intact.

[​IMG]

I'll call the repair company Monday to get a specific price for replacing the display only.

11. mclemme

mclemme Newbie

They are repairing my phone and I'm getting it back this week if all goes well!

You never really know what you have until you loose it... ;)

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews