• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Broken S7 Edge screen - hidden folder access

VanBCguy

Jun 15, 2014
I recently had my S7 Edge phone knocked out of my hand and it broke a pixel when it hit the ground. No damage other than the screen.

I had my phone perfectly set-up (finally) and had quite a few documents and photos stored away in 2-3 hidden folders. I couldn't access the hidden folder when the screen was broken (one broken pixel made the entire screen unreadable) but I did save all the phone memory folders (and the SD card too for what it's worth) to a computer. The repair centre has wiped the phone memory, so my question is this:

If I have the phone memory on a computer, what process do I go thru to get the hidden folders back onto my phone and viewable?

Thanks in advance.

Part of the Android boot process, (initial ramdisk) is to scan the user storage and generate any missing directories. You can overwrite them.
I would just copy and paste over the existing. As I said if something gets inadvertently erased it will regenerate on the next boot. Android will not allow access to critical directories without root.
The user directories are mostly Media and Cache.

Upvote 0
Ok. Copy and paste. But what to do with existing folders first? Maybe you answered this already and I'm not understanding the boot process part of your answer (I'm a computer dunce).
My vision is to empty the phone memory folder and then copy my old folders over. Would this work?

Sorry for the dumb questions but as mentioned, I'm a computer dunce.

Upvote 0
Well, I finally got the phone back (it's a refurb and not a repaired screen) and copied all the phone folders over and tried the Setting/Privacy feature to show the pictures. No luck. I then copied over the SD card folders since the photos were originally saved to the SD. I could see the folder names whether the Privacy feature was enabled or not, but there's no contents to the folders.

Long story short, unless someone has a more experienced idea, I'm out of luck. Reminder to self: back up all your docs and photos to a PC daily. If that screen breaks like mine did, everything stored privately isn't recoverable. Unless someone knows a better way.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones