1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Broswer controls.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Darfyddi, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Darfyddi

Darfyddi Lurker

Hello all,

I am new here (1st post) so please be gentle with me :smokingsomb:

My wife has just got an Ace gt-s5830 and it is the first 'smart' phone thingy we have had and it came with very little in the way of instructions however I did find a 128 page document online that helped with a few bits.

So the main reason why I am here - when we are using the internet (not sure what one it is or how to find out) neither of us can figure out how to go 'back' or 'forward' a page, is this possible?

I have an additional question too - in one of your stickies you state:
    "
    7) Battery consumption is not the best. Stock roms are far better than CM based /custom roms

8) DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER - it will kill your phone (clockworkmod recovery on its own is ok though)

9) Dont use task killers. Android manages its own memory better and causing apps to reload when called on actually uses more CPU and Battery if they have to load from scratch.
    "
    7&8: I thought ROM was read only memory, what does it mean here?
    9: Also we installed the 'Juice Defender' application software - is this any use or should I get rid of it? What are people's experiences with this?

Many thanks for your help, no doubt I shall be back a million times or more :rolleyes: In the mean time I am thinking of sticking with my C905 as it is easy peasy to use even if slow on the interweb at times. Once we have got comfortable with my wifes phone then I might be swayed to the 'smart-side' (I wonder if I get a free cookie... lol)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. zZzACEzZz

zZzACEzZz Well-Known Member

Install opera browser it has back/forward buttons etc. and its easy to use, u can also use back button next to home button to go back. Juice defender should help u to save battery but I havent tried it so dunno if it rly saves battery and abou the Roms there are many threads about them in androidforums. Rom Manager bricks your phone(I was one of its victims:))because its incompatible with Ace but u need to root ur device to use it.

3. ayush29k

ayush29k Android Expert

Welcome to android forums Darfyddi,

You can use the back button of the phone to go back a page on the browser, there usually is a forward button on the browser, i don't remember if the default browser has it or not. There are many other browsers available on the play store like opera, dolphin etc, you can try them ans see which suits your needs best.

ROM MANAGER is an application, its used only by rooted android users, its quite popular with a lot of android devices, however its fatal for the ACE, literally destroys its motherboard, so its there in the stickies as a warning for ACE users but unfortunately people still use it and destroy their phones. Its not something you need to concern yourself with, unless you plan to root your phone.

Rooted users use custom softwares(roms) on their phones,so its written in the threads that the default software that you have right now gives the best battery life compared to all other custom roms.

When you use 'back' button to exit any app, it does not always shuts down the app, sometimes the apps keep running in the background, so people use task killer apps to close such applications, because these apps consume battery and ram while running in the background. However the android's system is designed such a way that these task killers are actually harmful to the system, the software manages these apps by itself and shuts them down after a certain background run time. So its suggested not to use task killers.

Juice defender has good reviews but with all the confusing configurations in it, its quite a tiresome thing to setup initially, and all it does is close wifi/bluetooth/gps etc when not in use, you can do these yourself too, there is nothing this app does that you can't do yourself.
    To save battery, close wifi/bluetooth/2g and 3g/gps etc when not required, they consume a lot of battery. Also keep the display brightness level to a minimum level suitable for your eyes, brightness takes battery too. Keep unnecessary vibrations/sounds/apps off and you can easily go through a day on moderate usage without recharging.

Have a good android experience, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask but just search a bit first because most of the common questions are already answered in these forums and it becomes a bit tiresome to answer same questions repeatedly.
    But if you still have questions, don't hesitate and do ask us.:)

4. Darfyddi

Darfyddi Lurker

Cheers for the info - I did search your forums for broswer controlls before posting - had tried the return button before with no joy but it is working now... nvm.... same with a few other things weren't working before, are now??? anyway I shall see how it goes. not bothered about changing the operating software so ROM stuff not a problem to me. For the battery I have already turned off the B/T, WiFi etc, hadn't done 2/3G but will do that later when I wake up.

Cheers.

Samsung Galaxy Ace Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Ace release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 278GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1350mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews