• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Brown HTC Hero --- US AT&T 3G

jbarrack

Dec 15, 2009
Hi all,

I am new to this forum but not new to Android --- I had a white HTC Hero and sold it for a Brown Hero because I read online that the Brown one come with 850/1900 Mhz bands which would pick up AT&T 3G. However, I am unable to get this device to connect to AT&T 3G. It connects to edge no problem. However, in places where my iPhone 3GS had 3G signal, this device just picks up Edge. These are the APN settings I am currently using ...

Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password:CINGULAR1
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN Type: leave blank

Am I missing a step or do I have an incorrect APN setting? The back of the box does say 850/900/1800/1900MHz.

Thank you in advance for any help. It's greatly appreciated!

Yeah you guys are right. I ordered off expansys-usa and the writing on the back is foreign --- I imagine the Euro version.

You know, I love this phone. I have a 3GS and I find the integration and information at your fingertips via widgets to be the major draw. I am around WiFi almost all the time --- the one thing I really miss is my 3G service. Edge on this is actually not bad when it come to update widgets and whatnot.

Any ideas on where to get a Telus Hero unlocked from? Best Buy Canada?

Upvote 0
Hi all, newbie with a new toy here. :) I just got my black HTC Hero. (Yes, it is the Telus version.) I wanted to just say THANK YOU! The settings listed at the top of this thread worked beautifully and my Hero now cruises on AT&T's network with (what seems like) blazing speed (HSDPA, not 3G, but better! :D). Called AT&T before looking here and got ZERO help because "it is not a branded AT&T phone." Got it to work anyway thanks to you all! I am a happy Android user now. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones