• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Browser Back Button Problem

jacksup

Lurker
Mar 12, 2010
Hi,

I have the following issue with the browser on my Droid. When I'm on a wikipedia page, the back button will not work. It simply loads the same wikipedia page over and over again. This will happen with any wikipedia page.

Steps to reproduce:
1) Google search anything you like (e.g., "Mike Tyson")
2) A wikipedia page will come up in the results. Click the link to go there.
3) Hit the back button. It won't work. You are forever trapped in wikipedia.

I'm sorry if the info to fix this is out there somewhere, but I did my due diligence searching and couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Matt

Android back button doesn't work in wikipedia.
Android browser won't go back in wikipedia
(added some more food for Google searches as it took me 30 minutes to find only this post.)

I have the same problem in stock browser from HTC Evo.
Run a Google search click on a result from Wikipedia

Click the back arrow (hard key)...and it just refreshes wikipedia..if I jam the back key about 12 times fast it will eventually reload my Google search.

This only happens with Wikipedia results. Nothing else.

Extremely aggavating

HTC evo
Hardware v3
Froyo 2.2
Stock browser
Soft reset performed
Hard reset performed

Been doing it since the evo was new even on previous Android persons

Don't want to close the window as then I have to run my search again.

So now I avoid Wikipedia completely.

Upvote 0
I know it's an old thread, but I'll reply just in case anyone in a similar situation finds it.
The problem described happens because the Google search result takes you to the main Wikipedia page. Wikipedia then detects that you're using a mobile device and sends you to a different page formatted for reading on a phone. If you now press the back button you are taken to the standard Wikipedia page, which again redirects you to the mobile page. It will do this forever and you'll be stuck in a loop unless you press the back button a few times rapidly. You'll then be back to the page which you were at before clicking on the wikipedia link.

The number of times you need to press back rapidly depends on the number of redirects the site you're on puts you through. Some sites need two, some far more. All this trick does is beats the page reload time so the redirection doesn't get a chance to take place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones