1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Browser causing phone to restart using 3 diff ROMs

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by YankeeDudeL, Apr 1, 2011.

1. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Like the title suggests, for the past 3 ROMs I've flashed on my g/fs DInc have all had one common flaw: uising the browser for a period of 5 or more minutes will cause the phone to restart, occasionally into bootloops. This is annoying the ever living crap out of her, enough to the point she wants to go back to stock. I'm only so familiar with the DInc, having a rooted Droid myself.

I've used Re-engineered, WarmZ, and Magnolia on there. Fav was by far the Re-Engineered, but eventually caused a bunch of FCs and never found a reason as to why that happened. I was thinking a completely stock ROM might be a better choice for her, as she could still have SetCPU to help get her some better battery life.

If anyone has any tips or tricks or anything, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Do a full wipe(data, cache, dalvik) and try a stock rom such as virtuous or nuthing special.

YankeeDudeL likes this.
  3. YankeeDudeL

None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Thanks. I def always do a full wipe, it's just good practice. However, I'm not aware of there being more issues using a Sense ROM vs a vanilla one. Have others noticed more issues with one vs the other? I went ahead and flashed UD 3.2 as at least it's a ROM I'm familiar with having a rooted Droid for quite some time. So far no issues, as I'm on here using it now. Hopefully this trend will continue.

EDIT: And as I finished this, I went and posted on another forum, only for it to reboot. So the problem is still persisting. I'm at a loss here, I have no idea what it could possibly be.

4. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010
    Female
    Long Island
    It doesn't sound ROM related. Does it happen after wiping and flashing but before anything is restored?

YankeeDudeL likes this.
  5. YankeeDudeL

None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    It's now the 4th diff ROM now, so I agree, it's doesn't seem ROM related. I've only tried it after restoring apps (but not system data). I don't have it at my disposal enough to play with it too often to test diff methods. I don't know if she's tried a diff browser or not. Still, no idea what could cause it. It's one thing when it FCs, but to restart completely? Apparently, this never happened before I rooted her phone, to which is causing me lots of grief. lol

6. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    Almost sounds more like an app conflict which means PIA. If by chance she doesn't have many apps, you could restore one at a time and try to weed out the offender. Could also try restoring only apps without app data but I'm leaning more toward the actual app causing the problem. You could always nand backup after the initial flash before restoring everything but including tweaks to the system/Rom settings. Might save some time when trying to weed out the problem since the phone will be all set up minus the apps.

Also wouldn't hurt checking out battery usage via Spare Parts or similar. Maybe something will jump out as odd. Could be a major use of system resources causing the reboots, never know.

YankeeDudeL likes this.
  7. YankeeDudeL

None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm def gonna have to sit down with this and really prob solve, but I generally have such lil time to mess with it do to our conflicting schedules. I'm def taking each into consideration, and determined to find a solution before she makes me unroot the damn thing. :p

8. KrisPeezy

KrisPeezy Member
    None

May 9, 2010
    try re downloading the apps on the phone individually through the market. I've found that restoring through mybackuproot and titanium start to cause force closes for me and my brother's fascinate. you can also remote install through the market website now too which makes things a lot easier.

YankeeDudeL likes this.