1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Browser crashing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jpofsunya, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jpofsunya

jpofsunya Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Hi,
    I am having some serious problems loading browser. It crashes every time I try to load it and makes me "force close".

I recently installed update to 4.5.605 but it did not happen immediately after I installed it.

Any advice for resolving this issue is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time effort and assistance.

Advertisement

2. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Try going into your settings/applications, then clearing the cache for the browser

Boomerang likes this.
  3. jpofsunya

jpofsunya Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks RyanB. I tried that to no avail. I have rebooted the system multiple times and that didn't work either.

Latest development is this:
    I take my phone out of my pocket and see that browser is open and apparently working.
    On closer look I see that browser had google searched "****".

I am wondering if this could be some type of virus? I have only had my phone for 2 months now, so I honestly don't know if viruses exist on droids or not.

Any ideas on what I may try doing to resolve this would be greatly and sincerely appreciated.

Thank you SO much.

4. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Have you tried other browsers to see if you get the same result?

5. jpofsunya

jpofsunya Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Firefox I had tried and it constantly crashed on my phone. So I switched back to browser.

But now i am typing from a friends phone now. I can't even type responses on this forum because firefox doesnt recognize the reply box as a text box...the keyboard doesn't come up although the cursor will position it in the text field (separate issue).

6. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Well if the problem is only happening in Firefox, I don't think it's a "phone" problem. Maybe you could try reinstalling it?

jpofsunya likes this.
  7. jpofsunya

jpofsunya Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    No...please reread what I wrote. It is an issue with the default browser. Firefox had separate issues.

8. Kmqq

Kmqq Lurker
    None

Oct 23, 2011
    I had the same problem on a droid 2. It seems to be fixed after changing the home page.

jpofsunya likes this.
  9. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Well with the stock browser, you have fewer options. If you can live without your bookmarks and passwords, you can clear the data. Outside of that, I can't think of anything else short of a factory reset.

10. jpofsunya

jpofsunya Newbie
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    The homepage reset worked. Thanks so much for your help.

11. Drambuie

Drambuie Newbie
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Male
    desk jockey
    NFJ-YFF
    I was/am having the same problem. RyanB suggested clearing the cache which worked for a few days but now it's happening again. I really haven't had any issues with this phone since day 1 (July 15, 2010) but since this last update the browser started force closing. I shouldn't have to clear the browser all the time especially after not having any problems for more than a year. A friend suggested I try Dolphin. But I guess I'll try changing the home page first. But I can't imaging having a home page other than Google, maybe I'll set the new RAZR forum as my home page!

12. nsa_sailor

nsa_sailor Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 6, 2011
    Engineer
    Wichita
    I had the same problem yesterday. Clearing the cache didn't do anything but clearing data did.