1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Browser options

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by BklynEnigma, May 24, 2011.

1. BklynEnigma

BklynEnigma Newbie

I've been using android for a year now and have always used the stock browser (on my old Mytouch slide, and on my current G2X).

I see so many other options; Opera, Firefox, Skyfire, Dolphin etc. and I'm not sure if I should make the switch, and if I do, to what? I've looked at a few of the apps to see a description as to WHY it's different/better than the others but no definitive answers. Anywhere I can find more info, or any info from you guys would be greatly appreciated :).

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

3. bloodylipp

bloodylipp Well-Known Member

i prefer skyfire, its the fastest. (for now) hoping for firefox to win in the future.

BklynEnigma likes this.
  4. wmm

wmm Android Enthusiast

I use Firefox and the stock browser, depending on which site I want to look at. I really like the way Firefox handles tabbed browsing, and it has several add-ons that I find very helpful. On the negative side, it does not support Flash (yet), it only displays low-resolution photos (when you zoom in, they get pixelated), and for some reason I can't type into message boxes on this site using Firefox (other sites work fine). For sites where those things matter, I use the stock browser.

BklynEnigma likes this.
  5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

I strongly recommend just trying out the alternatives. You can read all you want and still have no idea if any of them are suited to you. If you don't like a browser you can simply remove it. I've tried several and prefer the stock browser. YMMV.

I mean, do you buy cars without test driving?

Better is always highly subjective, regardless of the topic. Definitive answers will come from you -- not the description.

BklynEnigma likes this.
  6. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Well-Known Member

I've tried them all, and for me, Opera Mini just FLIES!!!! Faster than all others listed, SIGNIFICANTLY.

So I use Opera. However, it's not perfect, and often has trouble streaming audio or video, so I do occasionally use the default browser for streaming.

Supposedly one of them, Skyfire I think, has limited flash support, but I tried it and it never worked for me.

BklynEnigma likes this.
  7. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

I prefer Opera Mini as well. It's just fast. Going back to a previous page is blindingly fast because it caches it. Most of the speed comes from the fact that the Opera servers visit the page, compress the data and then sends it to your phone. The other reason I use it is that Opera Mini allows you to group bookmarks into folders and subfolders, unlike the stock Android browser.

The disadvantage of Opera Mini is that it does not support Flash. I personally find that I rarely need Flash. If I do, I would just use the Android browser.

I have tried Opera Mobile as well. (Opera Mobile is different from Opera Mini.) Opera Mobile supports Flash, but is a bit slower than the Mini. Otherwise, it feels almost exactly like Mini.