• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Browser recommendation

Bodrey

Dec 28, 2011
Can anyone recommend an Android browser with a light footprint that also allows you to disable/filter ads using a plugin/extension? I did a Google search and I installed a couple of recommended browsers that allow for ad blocking - Firefox Focus and Kiwi. However, FF doesn't seem to have any ability to block and although I can go through the motions using AdGuard AdBlocker in Kiwi it doesn't actually filter the ads. So, useless.

If there is such an animal, could you please also let me know which extensions you recommend to block ads?

TIA

Yeah, try the regular version of Firefox as @Hadron suggested. I prefer the Firefox Focus version myself, but it is a striped-down version of the regular version, with its inherent, default configuration being 'focused' more on tracking cookies and such, not necessarily ad-blocking in general. Going by your posting, Firefox Focus is not an option for you.

If a light-weight, low-resource but usable web browser is a priority over user-controllable ad-blocking capability, try the Via Browser:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mark.via.gp&hl=en
It's surprising effective (although you're web usage will determine that aspect), and requires little storage space and not a lot of RAM when in use. Its update support is sporadic but current.

But overall, you might find it more prudent to use an ad-blocker app instead of trying to find a web browser app that is both really low-resource and includes the ability to control ad-blocking at a level you want.

Upvote 0
I'm partial to Brave Browser, although I'm not sure of the footprint. It's based on Chromium so desktop extensions work; it automatically blocks ads and trackers; and Brave Ads is an option to allow a few curated ads through, earning the user Basic Attention Tokens (that I then exchange for cryptocurrency). I love it because it's familiar and works well.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones