1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Browser Rendering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CTS_AE, Jan 26, 2014.

1. CTS_AE

CTS_AE Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2013
    Why is it that our phone seems to render all images as JPG on the web?

For example this site I've been working on: cQpon - Free Digital Coupons and Punch Cards

the logo is a png, and the green is a solid color minus some slight blending around the edges yet our phone does a really crappy job and gives it a lot of noise/artifacts - which come from jpg compression which you can really see when you zoom in on it.

I have the latest version of chrome yet it seems that doesn't matter, my friend has an older android which displays the page just fine; it displays png like pngs should look.

Advertisement

2. ryanb876

ryanb876 Member
    None

Dec 30, 2013
    I notice this when looking at pictures loaded from cellular data. I dont see it when im on wifi.

3. CTS_AE

CTS_AE Newbie
    None

Dec 19, 2013
    Thanks for the comment ryan, it got me thinking ; )

Managed to fix the issue:
    In Chrome -> Settings -> Bandwidth management ->
    You should be able to turn off just Reduce data usage, even though it's an interesting concept and interesting to see how much it can save you, I also could see it taking longer because Google's servers will render the content or ideally serve a cached size reduced copy to you. Which is great for bandwidth counters or if you're on a bad connection.

Clearing the app's cache didn't seem to remove the old artifact image, but clearing via:
    Chrome -> Settings -> Privacy -> clear browsing data
    seemed to fix the problem

I also turned off Preload webpages although I don't think that was bothering the image loading. Just turned it back on, refreshed the cache and it was fine.

36% savings is WOW, but only 50MB for me is not worth it; maybe if I used my phone's browser more often or didn't have things cached : P

I would be on board if Google's servers did visually lossless compression, until then I will not be using it. I mean wtf its like it took a PNG and made it into a jpg, idk if that even saves data xD although apparently it did? they might be compressing images down to like 60 quality jpg even still a logo at that size should be best in png I would imaging, but I can see with the image below it too they compressed it which it was already at 80 quality + 2.0 blur.
    Bad Render
    [​IMG]

Good Render
    [​IMG]

Data Savings
    [​IMG]

Tags: