1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Browser Support for Polytonic Greek Characters

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by auroravortex, Feb 11, 2011.

1. auroravortex

auroravortex Lurker
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    I do a lot of research in Greek New Testament text as a pastor, but after trying multiple Android browsers (standard, Opera, Dolphin) none are correctly displaying polytonic Greek characters (ones with certain accents in Koine Greek). After much searching, I've found some opinion that Greek can't be fully displayed on Android without rooting the phone, which I'm unwilling to do at this point. The only related suggestion here, in a thread by suhel28, suggested renaming a Windows font, transferring it to the phone, then pasting it into the system/font folder in the phone; this failed, as it only says I have insufficient permission.

Certain apps will display the full range of what I need character-wise, but I cannot find any study tools sufficient for my purposes in the Market; there are certain webpages that are pivotal in my work. Just for reference, one type of page I need to display is:

???? ???????? 1 Biblos Interlinear Bible

My question is this: Is there any way to add foreign language or font support to an Android browser without rooting the phone? Any help or hints would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Advertisement