1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Browser

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by caravaggio, Dec 27, 2011.

1. caravaggio

caravaggio Member
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I'm a long-time Mac user struggling to get to grips with my Asus Transformer Tablet which I bought a few days ago. This may therefore sound like a stupid question, but please be patient.

I like to listen to ClassicFM while I'm working on the computer, so I normally have a browser tab permanently playing Classic FM while I'm doing other things. Can I do this with the Android browser? I can't seem to find any way to minimise the page so I can do other things. I'd like to have that page playing Classic FM in the background while I'm looking at the Market, trying other apps etc.. or even looking at another browser page. I find that even if I open another browser tab, the first one becomes inactive and I lose my music. Am I expecting too much from my Android? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Retired
    Virginia
    That is the way the phones work. If you want to listen to Classic FM you have to get an app like Iheart radio or Tune In and find your station on those apps. Then you can listen to the app play in the background as you brows the web. Not sure what happens if you try to use another app at the same time, but it should work.

3. caravaggio

caravaggio Member
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Many thanks for your suggestion. I'll try that.
    :)

4. caravaggio

caravaggio Member
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Have downloaded Tune In and preset to ClassicFM. Problem solved! It plays in the background while I am doing other things.
    :):):):):(:)
    I am gradually being weaned off Mac and warming to Android.

Thank you Chrstdvd.

(However, I still think that the fact that you can't minimize a webpage on an Android tablet is frustrating. Maybe the coming upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich will address that. I hope so.)

5. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    Retired
    Virginia
    I was frustrated by this too, at first. You just get used to how Android works. I am a Windows user and could minimize a browser and open up another one to listen to the music on the first browser, while surfing on the second browser. Or you can just use another tab in the first browser.

6. caravaggio

caravaggio Member
    None

Dec 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Yes, it takes time to adjust to this new environment. I've used both PC and Mac and have got used to things being taken care of in the background - things I've taken for granted, Now with the Asus tablet I'm having to do a lot more work to make it do what I want. I guess the big advantage is the portability of the tablet over the laptop. Of course, Mac has the iPad, but that has its limitations (like not supporting Flash player) and my Asus has the huge advantage of a plug-in dock with a keyboard, 2 usb ports and extra battery lifetime. I am going to persevere with the Asus for a while longer. I have a lot more questions that I will pose here. So far, I am impressed with the help provided - and very grateful for everybody's time.

7. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Great to hear. The Android and iOS are not a direct copy / implementation of how desktop OSes like Windows works. The browser when you minimize it will be give limited CPU resources so the tablet / phone can focus on your more immediate requirements. On a PC that's less of an issue due to the vastly faster / bigger resources available.

The suggestion of downloading an app to play in the background is excellent.

Maybe when hardware / software catch up to desktop hardware it can have this feature. But then battery technology still lags and your battery would be killed very quickly.