• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Budget Tablet?

AndyfromVA

Jun 3, 2013
I'm looking for a reliable 7 inch tablet for under $200. I know the Nexus 7 is probably the best inexpensive 7 inch tablet on the market but I was hoping to get by with something cheaper considering my limited needs - email, internet and some word processing. No movies, no games.

Is there a less expensive alternative to the Nexus 7 that I should consider?

I've found some possibilities.
Nexus 7
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3
Asus Memo Pad HD 7
Hisense Sero 7 Pro
HP Slate 7
Kindle Fire HD

I'm trying to figure out which one will give me the best internet experience in terms of smooth operation (no lag), screen sharpness (very sharp text), good color and user-friendly ergonomics.

Upvote 0
Read the reviews on the HP Slate 7 and the Hisense Sero 7 Pro. I was going to get the Hisense Sero 7 Pro before I found out about the Asus Memo Pad HD 7. I would like a Nexus 7, but with no SD Card slot, that would not work for me. Here is an unboxing of the Asus Memo Pad HD 7.

ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7 Review - YouTube

I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7 (I don't need extra storage) but the ASUS HD 7 and Hisense Sero 7 Pro are also very appealing as they are very similar to the Nexus 7 at a cheaper price. All three look like excellent internet devices due to their high-rez screens and snappy processors.

Upvote 0
The new Nexus 7 will probably be an awesome tablet but I understand there will be a price increase. Also I'm going to need it in mid-August and can't afford to wait until the fall, when the new Nexus 7 is supposed to come out. More and more I'm thinking of the Asus Memo Pad HD 7 when it appears in the US in early August.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones