1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Bug? Email notifications only work when Gmail notifications are enabled.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by beepbot, Mar 31, 2011.

1. beepbot

beepbot Newbie
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    This post is about the Email program (with the yellow icon), and its interaction with the Gmail program (with the red icon).

Once I disabled notifications for Gmail, I started having problems with Email notifications. With Gmail notifications disabled, the Email notification icon does appears in the notification bar during initial notification event (during the time when tone plays and phone vibrates), but the icon then disappears (without having checked my email). The result is that unless I happen to notice a notification when it is happening, I never know if I have new email (unless I check it manually).

If I enable notifications for Gmail (which I did, with "Silent" chosen as the notification sound and vibration disabled), the notifications reappear properly.

Are these notifications linked, somehow? The "Settings" screens for Email and Gmail apps look and behave differently. Do these settings interfere with one another?

Any idea how I can make it so Gmail notifications are off but Email notifications remain?

Thank you for reading.

Advertisement

2. teknolux

teknolux Lurker
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    I went ahead and reproduced this scenarios to help you:

I disable the notification on Gmail.

I went ahead and send a Gmail email to my Hotmail email.

I got the notification (hotmail is push, although it took a while for gmail to send it). I did not check the email and played around. The Enevelope Icon remained there.

Scene 2:

I replied to the Gmail email to see if I would get a Gmail notification (thinking they are linked in some subtle way). However, no alert came up.

The only thing that I could think of is, do you have other apps running simultaneously? For example: AIM, Skype, Yahoo (Messenger and Mail), Weather apps, Music apps? They can be occupying space and pushing the email alert out of the way.

3. tli

tli Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    I've also encountered this same problem with the Email Notification disappearing, but in my case, enabling Gmail Notification is when the Email Notification problem occurs--opposite from what you've described in your case. I only have a few apps installed, and the notification status bar should not be 'overflowing' and wiping out the Email Notification.

Tags: