• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bugless Beast Kernals

Upvote 0
That is a 'zipped tarball' - meaning you do the following, in order, no skipping steps:

1. Copy file to root of your SDCard (It has to be named either {name}.rom.tar or {name}.rom.tgz)
  2. Reboot into recovery
  3. --> Install
  4. --> Select ROM
  5. Select it
  6. It will start by making a Nandroid backup
  7. It then asks you to select voltage type - Low Voltage, Medium Voltage, High Voltage. Pick one (remember, Adam said start with lowest first)
  8. Then you pick which kernel you want from the list presented.
  9. Then it installs, and you reboot.

Word of advice - if you already have SetCPU installed and have set up profiles for the default kernel, change it so that it is either disabled on boot, or else (better way) change all max settings to 550 / 600 before you start to play with these kernels, and if you don't like a kernel that you install, after changing SetCPU back to your preference, change SetCPU back as I just mentioned each and every time before flashing to a new kernel.

Yes, this is a lot of work - but it is a lot easier than downloading one boot.img file, booting into recovery, updating, testing, dismissing it, then having to repeat that entire cycle.

This way, you have all kernels accessible to you at any given moment.

HTH

Upvote 0
That is a 'zipped tarball' - meaning you do the following, in order, no skipping steps:

1. Copy file to root of your SDCard (It has to be named either {name}.rom.tar or {name}.rom.tgz)
  2. Reboot into recovery
  3. --> Install
  4. --> Select ROM
  5. Select it
  6. It will start by making a Nandroid backup
  7. It then asks you to select voltage type - Low Voltage, Medium Voltage, High Voltage. Pick one (remember, Adam said start with lowest first)
  8. Then you pick which kernel you want from the list presented.
  9. Then it installs, and you reboot.

Word of advice - if you already have SetCPU installed and have set up profiles for the default kernel, change it so that it is either disabled on boot, or else (better way) change all max settings to 550 / 600 before you start to play with these kernels, and if you don't like a kernel that you install, after changing SetCPU back to your preference, change SetCPU back as I just mentioned each and every time before flashing to a new kernel.

Yes, this is a lot of work - but it is a lot easier than downloading one boot.img file, booting into recovery, updating, testing, dismissing it, then having to repeat that entire cycle.

This way, you have all kernels accessible to you at any given moment.

HTH

so what would happen if you didn't do all that stuff with setcpu before changing kernels?

Upvote 0
You may fore it into a boot loop if you have a value selected that is not available in the next kernel that you flash to - b/c if it is not available it usually bumps the slider back all the way down to minimum value (250?) and several people were complaining about boot loops after this until it was figured out that this may be the root cause of the boot loops for people rapidly trying kernel after kernel from the set.

Reactions: gotwillk
Upvote 0
Nah, since the actual setting you may have selected will not be in another kernel, it defaults to the min value - but it is extremely frustrating to try to fix once it starts happening....

Also, this is no a definite occurrence - but with the possibility of it occurring at all makes me take the extra steps to avoid any situations like that from happening.

As you can guess, from reading my last several posts (in the Koush thread), I play a lot with these ROMs, so I am already likely enough to b0rk something - comes from my years of beta testing I suppose. Anyhoo, the last thing I need is a head scratcher - I hate those.

Upvote 0
you'll get slightly better CPU performance while sacrificing battery - but I can't say anything about how the two are related, and it also depends upon your personal battery usage per day.

I can say that none of those 1200 / 1300 kernels worked for me, and since ChevyNo1's 10-slot 1200 MHz did I stuck with that throughout my testing of the UD6.x series, and then afterward when I upgrade to UD7.0.

however, a lot of people had much better results than I did with AdamZ's kernel, so YMMV.

Upvote 0
Lmfao - yeah, I thought I said that earlier, but I may be remembering another thread.

I had nothing but issues with AdamZ's LV and MV 1200 and 1300 kernels, but ChevyNo1's 10-slot 1200 MHz kernel runs so stable it's as if I am running the stock kernel.

But I encourage others to at least try the AdamZ kernels instead of writing them off just b/c you and I found more success with Chevy's kernel. As has been proven many a times in here and elsewhere, every DROID does not react the same to the same stressors, and reacts differently, as well, to the same kernel.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones