• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bugless vs. Sholes

I prefer the Beast/Beauty ROM's over Sholes, but I am biased as Pete is a friend of mine and I host his files. I tried Sholes in the beginning and it was way buggy, then I tried it again when Bitchin' Bagel came out and while it was a huge improvement over the first few ROM's it just didn't seem as smooth as Pete's stuff.

The other thing, and this is just a personal, the Sholes team talks wayyy to much shit about Pete. They call him a thief, claim he isn't a "real" dev, and that he is just taking their work and re-naming it. All of that is totally uncalled for and not true, it all started when Pete came out with the Bugless Beauty and like EVERYONE downloaded it and he got a ton of 'fame' from it. Obviously Sholes was the only big ROM out until that so when he started getting more downloads then them they got jealous.

Really stupid stuff because imagine if they could have just teamed up or at least shared tips with each other? We would have some crazy ROM's.

I really think it would be a good idea not to continue this discussion. Look where it got alldroid......

Upvote 0
I really think it would be a good idea not to continue this discussion. Look where it got alldroid......

I say, "Save the drama for yo baby's mama!" What you witnessed at alldroid is what happens when a bunch of kids get together and fight over things that really doesn't matter. I ultimately say "Who cares?" I have been checking out these forums for a while now and I can honestly say that the main core group of members here would not let some petty discussion on who has the better ROM get out of hand. I mean as far as I know, there is not anyone getting paid by these ROM developers so why would they care what someone's opinion is on the matter.

All that is being done here is a light discussion of what ROM has what. Then people can get an idea of which one they like better.

Upvote 0
I think it has become so easy to flash different ROMs and try them yourself that it really makes the most sense to try pretty much any ROM that strikes your fancy.

Make a nandroid of your current setup/data, and then put the new ROM on and give it a whirl. Don't like it - all of a few minutes to flash back to your previous setup.

I came from a Blackberry, where updating/reloading the OS was an endless forty-five inute drag - the freedom to experiment that Android provides is amazing.

Upvote 0
Just an FYI on BB 7.5 and flac support...

From the Changelog :

Haven't tried it yet, but will shortly...I'll update this post...

I tried it - it works, but it is not associated with the music player. I can manually fore the music player to play a single file that is .FLAC, but if I try to use the MP to load a directory of .FLAC files it sits there and stares at me....

Upvote 0
Okay, so I'm really not up on FLAC other than it appears to be a new type of audio file. Is this the new mp3? I have never seen a FLAC file extension. Have I been in a cave or something?

Sorry, missed your question til now - assuming you haven't already Googled the answer, FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec - for the vast majority of people, this is rather pointless b/c they are unable to discern variations in files encoded above 256bit encoding using a constant bitrate. However, for some of us, even 320 is just not good enough - the true audiophiles.

FLAC is free, and it encodes files so that they are smaller than .WAV files - and yet maintain the same quality as the original .WAV rips from music sources. Unfortunately, FLAC files are noticeably larger than .MP3 files.

There are other formats also foraging into the world of digital music, one such being OGG (which is not lossless), which, IIRC, the DROID already supports. However, I have always been partial to FLAC - I like my audio sounding just as it does on an originally mastered disc (or tape, or LP) so lack of FLAC support was one minor stickler about the DROID that pained me.

Now, since it is integrated in BB / Sholes, I am not so pained (but still annoyed that it is not associated with the music player).

For more info, see Free Lossless Audio Codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones