1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Build 198_7 sbf available

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tbhausen, Oct 22, 2011.

1. tbhausen

tbhausen Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    The builds just keep coming!

For those who prefer to stay "on the bleeding edge", the sbf is available at the usual place and installed by the usual method. I'm doing so now, and will report my experience here :D

Does Motorola f'ing RULE, or what???

Advertisement

ORD84 and KOLIO like this.
  2. tbhausen

None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    BTW, I still believe Motorola allows these to be leaked--a sort of "freebie beta test" by hardcore enthusiasts before passing them on to the "endorsed" testers. Why not? I think it's a great way to go if they're doing so. I've run each one on my stock, unrooted MoPho and all have been great.

twospirits, ORD84 and KOLIO like this.
  3. tbhausen

None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    NOTE: DO NOT wipe your phone before flashing the new sbf. It will not overwrite your data or reset your phone. If you do wipe, you won't be able to access or reinstall some of your apps until Google approves the ROM fingerprint. There's no guarantee that this build will ever be released--it might be an "interim" build. It has, however, been signed by Sprint so you should be fine to install it (though I take no responsibility... blah, blah, blah).

twospirits, ORD84 and KOLIO like this.
  4. tbhausen

None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    Update:

Installed successfully. No glaringly obvious differences noted thus far. One thing I was observing with 198_6 was that the speaker phone seemed to have a mind of its own and would toggle on and off unexpectedly while listening to Google Voice VM's. Hasn't happened yet with 198_6, so that might be fixed.

&%^#ing low-bitrate audio bug still seems to be present. Grrr.....

5. tbhausen

None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    One other note... If you do flash this, all your apps will remain usable at their current versions, but some may not appear (nor, presumably, be updateable) on your "my apps" list in the Market until the ROM fingerprint is approved for the next publicly-released build (which may not necessarily be this one). This only pertains to fewer than 5 of my apps, and nothing I'd classify as "popular" or even "mission critical". Just an FYI...

6. tbhausen

None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    OK, now here's something... I'll need more testing to be certain, but my battery life seems to have seriously gone through the roof with this build... I'm starting to wonder if the battery meter is broken ;)

7. tbhausen

None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    OK, I feel like I'm talking to myself here, but I'm now certain that battery life is kicking serious ass on this update. My phone doesn't ever seem to get warm now... strange.

8. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor
    None

Oct 4, 2009
    Male
    Database Programmer, Sprint Advocate
    Queens, NY
    lol no you are not talking to yourself, your posts are coming quickly and we don't have time to respond. lol

I find it funny how someone asked in the Moto forum if this is a new update from Moto and as usual they denied it. But xda is usually on top of these new leaks and yeah i do believe that Moto leaks them out for us who can't wait do the testing in the field.

Too bad we can't get update/release notes with these these to know what has changed or not. Either way, I plan on doing this update tomorrow.

Would be nice to get the unlocked bootloader that the International Razr is getting, but eh that's wishful thinking on my part.

TS out

abrawner and drexappeal like this.
  9. tbhausen

None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    The mod's over there are pretty strict about toeing the company line, aren't they?

10. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor
    None

Oct 4, 2009
    Male
    Queens, NY
    lol yeah, but who can blame them. i think that is the norm throughout the industry.

TS

11. tbhausen

None

Jul 22, 2011
    Male
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just noticed there's a new notification bar symbol (small icon) for corporate sync emails. It's the same symbol as used on the accounts setup page.

drexappeal likes this.
  12. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    I'm waiting on the official release, but from the sounds of it, Motorola is staying on top of making sure all their premiere phones (on every provider) are getting a good amount of support.

Some may say that phones shouldn't need so many updates, if they work right, but the fact that they're releasing so many updates for the Photon REALLY draws me in to go with Motorola for all my future phone purchases. I hope this trend continues with the Photon because it's thoroughly making me feel like I made the smartest purchase by getting it.

13. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor
    None

Oct 4, 2009
    Male
    Queens, NY
    and whats is funny is that unofficially they release the update to xda, us early bird special testers go test it and find any bugs and they fix it for the actual release lol its almost like CM nightlies. lol

TS

14. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    Totally, TS. The EVO got similar type of attention after launch, except with a lot more fanfare. So far, I'm still seeing the Photon as the most underrated phone of the year, among all the other competitors.

15. abrawner

abrawner Member
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Actor/Voice Actor
    Virginia
    Agreed! One can usually tell, by the amount of "basic" accessories, found on Amazon and Ebay how 'supported" a handset is. Personally, I am still very fond of my Mopho; in fact, the only other "Pre-LTE on Sprint" handset of interest is the Nexus Galaxy.HOWEVER..I still prefer the "girth", feel, and build quality of the Moto over Sammy any day of the week... The Dev community seems to be developing more rapidly for this Phone finally!

16. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but since I'm new to the Photon, I've been reading all I can, and asking over at xda, but cannot find an answer to this question:

When I got the phone just a couple weeks ago, it said it is up to date on 198_6. But all the roms/mods over at xda seem to be based off of 198_7...

So, what is 198_7? (i.e. how is it different than 198_6?) And if it's never been officially pushed out, why didn't Sprint/Motorola release it?

TIA.