• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Build CyanogenMod7 from source | Development area

Could be. But just for kicks, let me tell you about MY build system. It's an Acer Aspire One netbook. Single core CPU, stock RAM, 64GB SSD upgrade, running Linux Mint 12. Now, as embarrassing as that is, I put it out there just to say it is possible to build ICS on a very small, very slow computer. The other system in the house is an even older, and slower, Compaq laptop, but the 4yo daughter likes to use that one a lot more. Now with tax season, I am toying with the idea of an 8 core AMD FX AM3+ based system. Haven't built a desktop in some time, and for the price, they look very promising. I'm not sure I would even know how to behave with something like that though, not after being notebook/netbook bound for so long now.

Wow, how much RAM and how long does that take to build ICS?

Upvote 0
Stock ram I believe is 1GB, max of 2GB. Only one slot ya know. First build took all night. I started it at around 5pm or so if I remember right, and the next morning, voila! So, it took less than 12 hours I suppose. Now that the build environment is full, it doesn't take too terribly long after a repo sync to brunch and get a freshly patched zip.

Upvote 0
It is possible on even ancient computers, it will just take forever. Like you have stated :).

I use linux mint 12 as well. But I just built a new computer (nothing amazing, but it is pretty nice. I spent <$300 on it) and it's pretty quick. I repo synced from mantera's github and built cm7 in a couple hours total. If I could do more than -j4 it would be faster, but i think that is a github issue.

Upvote 0
Never been able to complete a build of cm7, however cm9 is like butter. Tried Isaac's repo, that mixed with other git pulls, etc. Amazing where one is effortless and the other is not. I don't sweat it, its all a challenge to me. Very enjoyable, need to get signed up for some classes.

Hey, I know it's been a while since your post here. But I messed up my local cm7 files so I actually had to redo my local cm7 repos.

I have my github fixed now so that if you do a repo sync to the gingerbread branch, you should be able to build cm7. I just did a repo sync from scratch, ran the get-rommanager script, and then built and it built fine. And of course, the build flashed and ran as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones