1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Build.prop Tweaks

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mrjello, Dec 25, 2012.

1. mrjello

mrjello Member

I see that some of the custom roms have changes to build.prop. What changes are you making and do they really make a difference? I see many tweaks listed online but I question the effectiveness of some of them.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Artine

Artine Android Expert

If they're the right ones, they make plenty of difference. One example is the dalvik.vm.heapsize tweak. Normally, that line is dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m. Many of us have tweaked the build.prop so that line is, instead, dalvik.vm.heapsize=64m. I'm too tired to provide a quality wordy description of the difference, but try playing fruit ninja when the value is 32, versus when it's 64. The result is much smoother, higher FPS gameplay.

3. mrjello

mrjello Member

From what I understand changing the heap size can potentially make larger apps run more efficiently but could make smaller apps less efficient.

Anything besides heap size worth playing with?

4. David Dubz

David Dubz Android Enthusiast

You can find a lot of them here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1874269

geekhandstrong likes this.
  5. Artine

Artine Android Expert

It's made every app I've ever used more efficient, so far as I can tell, at 64.

Otherwise, plenty. See the post above me, for example.

6. LowEndGeek

LowEndGeek Android Expert

From what I've learned the heapsize is set by the hardware to where there is a limit. If this is the case increasing it won't necessarily do anything unless the value is supported by the device. Also doing so won't give you noticeable performance boosts (could be wring about that ) but will help larger apps have a bit mire wiggle room.

I've actually decreased the size from 48 to 36 in my test build of TheLGE and I've had increased performance all around

7. snorge

snorge Android Enthusiast

8. Artine

Artine Android Expert

There is a heapsize limit set by the hardware, and you can go up to that limit via the software. 64 is supported by the OE, and stock is at 32. Try increasing it from 32 to 64, or 48 to 64, and you'll see a large performance boost in apps and games (especially). For example, try Fruit Ninja and/or Temple Run at 32. Now try them at 64. There's a noticeable, big difference in performance. And it does indeed allow larger apps more wiggle room. Since it doesn't appear to harm the device in any way having it higher, I would say that having more wiggle room and better performance at little to no negative consequence, is an improvement.

I've always seen more performance the higher it's set, not lower, though it should never, ever, be higher than 64 (for any device).

LowEndGeek likes this.
  9. LowEndGeek

Ahh food for thought. Im learning more everyday

This doesnt affect battery life?

10. Artine

Artine Android Expert

It doesn't appear to. If it does, it seems to be negligible/not noticeable.

11. LowEndGeek

I think you are right. I just noticed that harmonia defaults to 64 Leslie Ann is good about stability so if there was an issue i don't think she would have used that setting.

12. HaTrEd360

HaTrEd360 Android Expert

Hmm. All the ROMs I've used on my Evo V 4G are set to 128.

13. LowEndGeek

I believe the maximum heap size depends on the amount of ram the phone had the who can go to 128 because it has more ram.

14. Artine

Artine Android Expert

64 is the maximum that should be required of any decently-built app, to paraphrase from XDA. Some phones have it higher, of course, but you should only ever need 64 at the most.

15. Tanmay_A

Tanmay_A Lurker

Mine says 256m. Is a bigger no good or smaller?

LG Optimus Elite Forum

The LG Optimus Elite release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews