1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Build quality issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mustardtiger56, Dec 10, 2013.

1. mustardtiger56

So, before I get into this let me just say I think this is a great phone. I have some issues with overall smoothness/touchwiz but other than that i've come to like it. However today I was messing around with it and noticed that it flexes and creaks very very slightly. I bought the phone knowing that build quality isn't up to HTC or Apples standards but up until now I thought it was still pretty solid and for everything else this thing offers I was willing to make the sacrifice. Then today i noticed the creaking and flexing. To make sure I wasn't just seeing things i took off the battery cover and flexed back and forth gently. To my surprise the battery seemed to wiggle out of its compartment while doing this( battery was facing upward). While it may not be a big deal to many of you it is to me. When I see something like this on a $650 device my OCD kicks in. What about you guys, have you experienced any creaking/flexing? or am I just subject to a poorly made unit?

2. jptsr1

jptsr1 Member

i came from an iphone and i remember thinking the build of this thing seemed pretty shabby to me when i first got it. now its in an otter box though so i could care less.

3. XiphoneUzer

XiphoneUzer Member

This is a post I would expect to see on macrumors.
    It's like you're trolling for others to agree with you, but I'm not biting.

I love my N3, and it's build seems quite nice.
    Also have a JB 4S sitting right here, (some say it's "bricky").

I haven't tried to "bend" any of my phones, and I have had a lot of them.

Then today i noticed the creaking and flexing. To make sure I wasn't just seeing things i took off the battery cover and flexed back and forth gently. To my surprise the battery seemed to wiggle out of its compartment while doing this( battery was facing upward).

LOL, really? :smokingsomb:
    You gotta be playing us right? :smokingsomb:

the battery wiggled out of it's compartment, lol, that's crazy my friend. :smokingsomb:

OMG, post a video, it'll go viral in 2 days !!! :smokingsomb:

4. Methos1979

Methos1979 Android Enthusiast

Nope, the OP is right. I hadn't noticed it until he pointed it out. So I put the GN3 into a vise and bent it back and forth and it not only creeked, it broke in several pieces! Shame on Samsung!! :D

5. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert

Agreed: Given enough force, phones and other devices will flex slightly.

This was addressed in your previous thread.

No.

No.

potterdood likes this.
  6. jwither

jwither Android Enthusiast

It's a thin phone, with a large screen. Yes, it's going to bend. Can you bend an iPHone? When they make one with a screen large enough to be usable, you'll be able to bend that one too.

7. mustardtiger56

Look I'm not trying to tick anyone off or troll here, all I'm saying is my unit doesn't feel as solid as an iPhone, HTC one, nexus 5 etc. And no not all large phones flex, I've used an HTC one max and one of the larger Xperias and neither creaked or flexed like the n3. With the gorilla glass panel in front of the n3 it shouldnt be flexing at all, but for some strange reason it is. The home button wobbles as well, something you should never find on a flagship device and something I have never experienced on an iPhone or any other android with a physical home button.

8. mustardtiger56

No need to be arrogant I'm just stating my experiences , its almost as if some of you swore an oath to Samsung to never tolerate anyone having issues with their phones. Let me repeat myself, I have used the HTC one max and Sony's xperia offering, and neither ever creaked or flexed due to their superior construction. Love it or hate it that's the truth. Gorilla glass, being glass cannot flex enough to move a battery from its housing. It is moved out of the housing b/c the plastic edges are moving up and down slightly giving the illusion that the entire phone is flexing. This would never happen on an aluminum,glass, or well built polycarbonate device. Simple as that

9. zipred

zipred Android Expert

There's a gross lack of knowledge and a lot of fear that surfaces when the word "plastic" is brought up in a smartphone forum. When plastic is implemented in other products it's heralded as an advantage.

A material that is available in various quality grades and types, Samsung has wisely chosen a very strong, light and durable material.

But then again when you've got a cult like following, that's been programmed by Apples marketing smoke & mirrors, not only do they influence and control the minds of others, they can sway some peoples beliefs with little effort.

It's a clear sign of the complacency of millions, failing to use their own minds, but rather they prefer to let others do their thinking for them.

10. chimphappyhour

chimphappyhour Android Enthusiast

Ok, I'm curious as to what makes the OP think that Gorilla Glass is this miraculous material that doesn't bend? ANYTHING of that size WILL BEND, steel, iron, titanium.... doesn't matter, it will bend. In fact, if you don't want it to break, it better bend. Same with the rest of the phone. Same with airplane wings. (Not the same with iPhones apparently as those things break at the slightest drop... every single generation it seems according to my friend who really should be an Apple beta tester.) The energy has to go somewhere. Basic engineering from Mother Nature herself.

That said, I can't say that I've ever heard mine creak. Then again, I don't go bending my phones until I find a weakness in them because I know at some point I will find it. OP, give me your Sony, Apple or HTC. I'll make it creak... or you cry.

11. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert

12. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert

My suggestion?

Buy a good case, use your phone, worry less.

13. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

hey guys,
    so i had to do some clean up here. please let stay on topic and not attack each other.

my note 3 is built very solidly and i have no issues with it, especially with the battery. if this is a problem for you then you might want to take it back and get it exchanged or something like that as i have never heard of this before. and if it is something where the battery can pop out that easily then that could be a problem.

any questions about the cleanup my door is always open.

thanx,
    ocnbrze

dustwun77, Mikestony and D-U-R-X like this.
  14. alejovh1

alejovh1 Well-Known Member

I have an issue with the screen not being flushed with the bezel completely and the power button to0 flushed, it gets stucked sometimes and it pops up.

15. zipred

zipred Android Expert

You're phone comes with a warranty to take care of just such problems. It's a phone call away.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 13MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3200mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews