• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Build Quality - What to look for when buying in store

matt310

Aug 3, 2010
I'm going to pick one of these up today at the AT&T store. I know about the GPS issue, but are there specific hardware issues I should look out for, like creakiness or buttons that don't light up, and that kind of thing?

The IP4 has build quality variations - some of them have loose or "wiggly" home and sleep/wake buttons, and it's reasonable to assume every mass produced device will have manufacturing tolerances, but to those who have the Captivate, what (if any) are signs I should ask for another one while at the store?

Thanks in advance; looking forward to this phone!

I'm going to pick one of these up today at the AT&T store. I know about the GPS issue, but are there specific hardware issues I should look out for, like creakiness or buttons that don't light up, and that kind of thing?

The IP4 has build quality variations - some of them have loose or "wiggly" home and sleep/wake buttons, and it's reasonable to assume every mass produced device will have manufacturing tolerances, but to those who have the Captivate, what (if any) are signs I should ask for another one while at the store?

Thanks in advance; looking forward to this phone!

My first captivate has a stuck pixel that showed as a red dot on the screen. I didn't notice it until I got it home. So, take a good look at the screen when you get your new phone.

btw... at&t gave me no issues with exchanging the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones