1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Building a app with navigation

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Hent, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Hent

Hent Lurker

I am looking for building a app with navigation (for example google navigation). is it possible to implement a navigation app in a self build app? I dont think mapview will be enough, because of the lack of giving directions. any help is apreciated!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

Before you go to the trouble, have you tried Waze?

3. Hent

Hent Lurker

No didnt try Waze, but after looking on there website it looks like a normal navigation app, without the possibility to implement it in my own app.

Just to be clear, the goal is:
    Building my own app. The app loads addresses/locations and if the user wants to navigate to it, the user can click on a "navigate to" button. Now there should be a frame of a navigation app in my app, that navigates to a location that is given by code. So the app doesnt close and open up a another app (like Waze, Sygic, Maps etc.). Is there any way for realizing this without building your own navigation program?

4. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but waze has similar functionality. If you have a contact with address in your phone, you can navigate to their house/office by hitting the waze icon in their contact record. You can search places/addresses within waze, create favorite locations, etc.

I'm not trying to discourage you from making an app, just making sure that you are not duplicating effort.

5. Hent

Hent Lurker

Thank you for your help, but it is not as simple as that.

The locations to navigate to are downloaded from a database and are thousands, adding all those to my contacts is not a real possibility. Besides the app is supposed to do more than only navigate to locations, for example storing some data (locations) while driving.

I searched a while but still didnt find any way to do this, without making your own navigation app.