• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Building a Desktop Computer

Vihzel

Destroying Balls Everyday
Apr 8, 2010
Manhattan, NY
Hey guys. I'm trying to convince him that he needs to update his 8 year old desktop computer but he doesn't really want to spend the time building one or even know how to build one. I want to give a customized desktop computer as a Christmas present to my best friend of 17 years.

It has been about 6 years since I've built my last computer so I need a refresher of the components that I need. I'm not even sure what kind of budget I should allocate. My first thought was $1,500 but I don't know if that is unnecessarily high for someone who isn't trying to play games like Crysis and more simply WoW.

I was wondering if you guys recommend a good guide or if you can put one together for what I would need to build the computer.

Hey guys. I'm trying to convince him that he needs to update his 8 year old desktop computer but he doesn't really want to spend the time building one or even know how to build one. I want to give a customized desktop computer as a Christmas present to my best friend of 17 years.

It has been about 6 years since I've built my last computer so I need a refresher of the components that I need. I'm not even sure what kind of budget I should allocate. My first thought was $1,500 but I don't know if that is unnecessarily high for someone who isn't trying to play games like Crysis and more simply WoW.

I was wondering if you guys recommend a good guide or if you can put one together for what I would need to build the computer.

If you check out my build somewhere on here its about $1k (with only one GPU, but yeah it can run Crysis 2 )

Upvote 0
Most motherboards these days come with onboard HD audio, and if he does not OC then all you' really need to look at is either a case with good cooling built in plus a CPU cooler, or else a good case and DIY cooling - fans are pretty cheap these days.

If his system is 8 years old, and he doesn't really mind, you might be better off buying a pre-built system as it will ahve the OS also. However, if you ahve access to a legitimate OS to install on there, then by all means build by hand.

DDR3 is the current spec for RAM, can be used in dual channel or triple channel mode.

CPUs - I'm only familiar with Intel, but you can get some really nice Sandy bridge CPUs for not too much - but it will require a compatible motherboard as well. If you don't mind sticknig him with older components (I'm guessing that you will) you can jump backward to pre Core iX days like a Core2Quad 9000 series. I don't recommend that.

PSU, GPU HDD - up in the air - a good SATA II SSD can be as little as $150, these days, the SATA 6Gbps v3 are more expensive - but they make a world of difference when it comes to booting a computer up. There's also hybrids, Velociraptors and regular 7200 RPM mechanical drives.

Optical - a BD-ROM + DV all + CD all is as cheap as $30 - BD burners are more expensive, around $100.

PSU - use eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to determine what you really need to have installed. I've got the Pro version paid for so I can gather your specs and give you a true output if some things won't go in the free version.

HTH

Upvote 0
Lol, wth.. I can be this best friend of 17 years if you'd like

In all honesty, the newer model motherboards come with really specific assembly manuals so you really shouldn't get the assembly portion of it wrong. Of course, parts do short out or come DOA. I think your best bet is to look up DIY kits and just go that route. If not that, you can always go to places like ibuypower.com and have something built that way.

Upvote 0
The only thing I would recommend for a first time build is buy a mobo/cpu combo. This way you dont have to sit there figuring out how to attach the CPU, or worry about getting the correct mobo, or attaching a coolant sink/fan to the CPU -- those things can be tricky.

Otherwise everything just plugs in, and most components are designed only to fit a certain way, so it's hard to mess up.

Upvote 0
Small form factor. And I seriously doubt that the dude that it's being built for give's a rat's a...er, a care about portability, since his current build is over 8 years old and he plays WoW and checks email, not goes to LAN parties and such.

@alp - it's not Vizhel's first build, just first build in 6 years - V's been around the block.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
Hey guys, I apologize for the absence. I'm not in too big of a hurry to get this assembled and I've been watching the Newegg videos for assembly so I've relearned a lot by watching them. It has definitely been a long time since I've built my last one but at least I'm not terrified to build another one like I was the first time. hehe

The thing most puzzling to me (and I assume was the same before) was the motherboard. Is a $250 motherboard better than a $100 motherboard?

Upvote 0
Lol - price is not everything. Generally, you could say yes to this - but a lot of factors are also involved, and a $250 with a bunch of extra features (for example, a secondary southbridge type chipset) may actually run into problems in the long run, thereby making the $100 mobo a better choice in hindsight.

Since he doesn't need high end graphics, you're best bet would probably be to invest in an SSD fo a main system drive and regular mechanical drives (7200 rpm for best balance of price versus performance) for data drive(s), and a bit of RAM (4 GB doesn't even cut it anymore, go with 8 (2 * 4), or, since the current standard is DDR3, make full use of triple channel and do 6 or 12 (3 * 2 or 3 * 4). Since he seems to like to keep his computers for a long time, try to get the most current hardware at the most affordable price you can - that will keep him set for he next 8 years and in better shape than his current 8 year old beast.

Upvote 0
Oh thank you guys so much for your help! I am building one for myself now. My buddy got his pre-launch invite to Star Wars: The Old Republic today and started playing the game. He was complaining to me about how he has to have all of the settings at the lowest setting possible and he's still lagging all over the place. He asked his dad if he could get an updated one. His dad is now getting him a new desktop computer. :)

I now have a new budget of $1,500 for myself since I don't have to worry about building 2 computers since now I can just build one for myself.

Upvote 0
That's a healthy amount, I sure we'll have lots of fun helping you spend that. :D

I sent him a nice wish list/cart for very slightly over $1,000. A lot of the parts have MIR's too, so he'll see a bit of cash back once he sends them in. Either way, the rig is a beast.

Case: Antec DF-85 ATX Full
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
GPU: EVGA 012-P3-2068-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 cores)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM

Upvote 0
I do like the components you put up there but I would really want this case:

Corsair

It has a really polished, clean design and seems like plenty of airflow. It also has filters, which are great. :)

I'll work on my build with some of your recommendations and post on here to test for compatibility. Something I don't understand is the RAM timing. I know that has something to do with BIOS but that's all I know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones