• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Building CM12: Work in Progress. Join In!

I tried this latest upload and it looks great! SetCPU said root wasn't detected, so I ran Towelroot and SetCPU didn't complain again. Is it possible the old acpuclock-8226.c config file was left in the /kernel/arch/arm/mach-msm/ folder before compiling?
Would it be possible to extract this kernel and use it on the stock system?
I tried just taking to boot.img out of the zip and flashing it and it did not go well. :/

Upvote 0
I got my .zip built last night. I flashed with the new lolipop-TWRP. I just realized this probably needs bumped first. So I ended up with an error about security and upon plugging the usb in to Ubuntu, a 34mb partition mounted with two visible files. rct.cfg reads........

Rooted

Not allowed command had been excuted
> su
Rooting related file had been installed
> su
> superuser
> busybox

Detection time
> 1970-01-02 00:00

[x5:0437b6e713678c9d:5.00]

I got TWRP rolling my backup to fix the problem but it wasnt easy getting twrp to load. I ended up pressing the vol down and power button while the usb was connected and TWRP loaded.

Reactions: Bad_MOFO_33
Upvote 0
I got my .zip built last night. I flashed with the new lolipop-TWRP. I just realized this probably needs bumped first. So I ended up with an error about security and upon plugging the usb in to Ubuntu, a 34mb partition mounted with two visible files. rct.cfg reads........

Rooted

Not allowed command had been excuted
> su
Rooting related file had been installed
> su
> superuser
> busybox

Detection time
> 1970-01-02 00:00

[x5:0437b6e713678c9d:5.00]

I got TWRP rolling my backup to fix the problem but it wasnt easy getting twrp to load. I ended up pressing the vol down and power button while the usb was connected and TWRP loaded.
Yeah you definitely need to bump boot.img. as far as rct too goes, i wouldnt modify. And vol- +power gets you into recovery when needed. If you bump your boot.img you can now flash img files with twrp

When building cm12, the bumped boot.img isnt included in the zip folder. But it is included in the out folder, so you need to open zip with archive program and just drag your bumped img into archive(date should now show proper date for boot.img) should be able to properly boot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
python2 open_bump.py "/cm12/out/target/product/x5/boot.img"
Image already bumped
bumped image: /cm12/out/target/product/x5/boot_bumped.img

Took an hour to figure out how to get the bump going. This is what I got... Am I bumping the wrong file?
No its already bumped if youre using my device tree. You just need to manually place it in you rom.zip overwriting the one in there already

Upvote 0
To be honest, I don't know what I'm doing really. I just want to learn, the only way I know how to learn is to smash my brain into something till it sticks. So now I know how to bump the boot.img even though it looks like Its unnecessary since I'm riding on your back. I got it jammed into the .zip so ill flash it and see what breaks again.

Upvote 0
That worked. It's booted, WiFi connected, works well so far. Claims to need a SIM..I didn't flash the Radio yet. I didn't expect this to work as well as it does. I guess ill find me some gapps and flash a radio. I have to walk over to the Bluetooth radio to see if this thing connects to it. Lollipop is so sweet.

Upvote 0
That worked. It's booted, WiFi connected, works well so far. Claims to need a SIM..I didn't flash the Radio yet. I didn't expect this to work as well as it does. I guess ill find me some gapps and flash a radio. I have to walk over to the Bluetooth radio to see if this thing connects to it. Lollipop is so sweet.
Does that mean it's almost a working beta version? I would freaking love this as a daily! :D

Upvote 0
Does that mean it's almost a working beta version? I would freaking love this as a daily! :D

Still alpha.
I got gapps nano installed. That works fine.
I installed the radio. That doesn't seem to work. I couldn't find a way to "update".
Sleep "might" have worked before I added gapps and radio. It definitely doesn't work after.
I found the native root app buried in development tools.
It burned through the battery like crazy. ATM; no means to underclock or undervolt.
It was beautifully smooth though.
I was in a rush to go to my Friday night game so I backed up but didn't get logs.

Upvote 0
Update: 2/15/15 added soft keys until Home button gets fixed: Also added RIL for data(not sure if it works though)
Pleanty of things still not working but pretty stable.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzsQwTUZjTO5ZkpUdG01M1lfQlU/view?usp=sharing
Again, feedback is always welcome.
Need to clean up some, and will update my github later.
Next build will get its own Thread, so I can just update the OP as need be.

Upvote 0
Update: 2/15/15 added soft keys until Home button gets fixed: Also added RIL for data(not sure if it works though)
Pleanty of things still not working but pretty stable.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzsQwTUZjTO5ZkpUdG01M1lfQlU/view?usp=sharing
Again, feedback is always welcome.
Need to clean up some, and will update my github later.
Next build will get its own Thread, so I can just update the OP as need be.

Flashed with the universal APN fix for VM and calls are working but no sound. SMS and MMS are working through textra.:D

Reactions: Bad_MOFO_33
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones