1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Built In Battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by treb1797, Oct 18, 2011.

1. treb1797

treb1797 Android Expert

May 22, 2011
    Tennessee
    So this built in battery thing is a big deal breaker for me. No option for the extended battery which is a must w/ smartphones.

Advertisement

TheMortallyWounded likes this.
  2. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Might need to get used to it, because one of the blog sites reported he was hearing that this was the direction that future Android phones would be going to. I am actually OK with it, as long as I can make it to bedtime to recharge the phone.

red66charger likes this.
  3. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Inigoes, MD
    I hope there's a way to reset it without pulling the battery...that you can't pull.

blackepoxy likes this.
  4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Fwiw, it took me weeks to get used to the non-removable battery in my Galaxy Tab (7"). There were a few times that I would normally have done a battery pull.

But..a cooler head prevailed and I did get accustomed. I'm thinking that those coming from devices with replaceable batteries will adjust to the RAZR just fine. Not a huge deal, although I don't like to give up one of the attributes of Android devices that separates it from iPhones. ;)

jroc and treb1797 like this.
  5. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 12, 2011
    IMO, the need for replaceable or extended batteries represents a design failure. The device should be able to run all day comfortably with enough battery power. You should have to have a fat phone or exchange batteries during the day.

The only thing is the replaceable battery is good for is restarting my phone, which is a design failure in its own respect. They should make sure the OS is stable enough so that isn't a common problem.

blackepoxy likes this.
  6. YodaDroid

YodaDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    There is a hardware button sequence that simulates a battery pull. (it's hardwired into the electronics)

blackepoxy and Frisco like this.
  7. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Is there a way to use the micro usb charging port to attach a secondary battery pack?

8. AndroidGreg

AndroidGreg Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    Extended battery cases will be available, there is a hardware simulated battery pull function and the reason the batter is not removable is because of the waterproof (splash only not a pool dive) protection it had to be sealed inside.

9. treb1797

treb1797 Android Expert

May 22, 2011
    Tennessee

Where do you get this info ??

10. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    I like it! No flimsy wobbly battery doors. Solid feeling phone.

I have never had to walk around with a spare battery, and refuse to now. Either I'm home where I can charge, in the car where I have a charger, or in my office where I can charge.

No worries here at all!

11. Stealthman

Stealthman Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 2, 2010
    This would be a deal breaker for me, not a good feature

12. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

Oct 14, 2009
    I like the option of having an extra battery......especially when I travel. Airports are funny to watch all the iphone users plugged in somewhere. Having the ease of poping in a spare battery is really important to me

13. Great1

Great1 Well-Known Member
    None

May 17, 2010
    Jersey
    We are all used to reboot or pulling out the battery when our phones freeze up or what not....what would we do in the case if we cant pull the battery out?

14. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

Apparently holding the power button down for an extended period will trip the battery to off. Not a 100% option, but is what it is.

15. Great1

Great1 Well-Known Member
    None

May 17, 2010
    Jersey
    True good enough for me :)..... is it me or does the Galaxy Nexus not sexy at all?? I mean it doesnt even beat its own cousin ( Galaxy S2)... If Razr had the ICS now it would've blown Nexus out of the water but we'll have to wait for Q1 2012 for that.

16. pm1066

pm1066 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    I'm getting less concerned about the built in. There are reasonable hints of an external pack of some sort, which had better not be much bigger than a spare battery (hint, hint Moto). The splash guard bit and lack of a battery door are also good, now that I think about it. Both my DX and my wife's two Droids have had battery door issues. My DX door pops off now just riding around in the pocket, and I fried the SD card slot using it in damp conditions.

Best battery door I've encountered was on my BB Storm, which is kind of odd considering how freakin' often I used to have to do pulls on it.

17. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I think for VZW customers, the lack of confirmation of a date or which model version (16gb or 32gb) has taken a lot of wind from the sails of that forum. The post rate has dropped to "normal" levels, if such a thing.

Razr seems the better option by far (for non-custom rom addicts), but the chipset issue, fixed battery and heat potential seems enough for people that can wait- to wait. Even if you return a device to VZW before the two weeks, it usually counts against your update, unless you get lucky and they wave it. VZW corporate took the control of that decision away from stores.

18. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    New England
    I vehemently disagree. Plenty of us travel or are otherwise away from a charger for long stretches of time, and I refuse to buy a phone that can't accommodate that.

Not to mention, even if you have decent battery life when you first buy the thing, lots of people keep their phones for a year or more, when batteries are losing their charge capacity. I use a pair of batteries and alternate usage so they'll each degrade at half speed.

blackepoxy and redraider1 like this.
  19. pm1066

None

Jul 14, 2010
    There a lot still to be seen here...what is/are the external power pack options? Are they significantly better/worse than lugging several batteries around? From my own experience, extra batteries also meant an external charger (if you travel last minute, do you always have the spares fully charged in the phone?).

Also, and a much bigger deal, is how good has moto gotten at power management? If they are able to milk more life out of the battery, the time it takes to get to 300-400 FULL cycles and lose 20% charge may well be over a year. Doing a little research on the iPhone experience, this isn't an issue--on older batteries no less.

20. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    There always are external power packs. You buy one, connectthe USB cable to it and the other end to the device - whatever device that is. It has much higher capacity than phone batteries and is much better. I have been using one from Sanyo for a few years now and find it an essential item while travelling.

21. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    The key folks will be the heat. A batterys worst enemy is heat. IF the same 4430 as the Bionic and Droid 3, it is going to get very hot at 1.2ghz. "Water tight" also means (to some degree) air tight, so all that heat will be building in the frame where the battery is and no breathing. Seems the metal frame is probably the heat sync, but with nowhere for the heat to go but in the device- TOASTY.

Given VZW's policy for batteries and batteries being a common point of failure, it seems the design decisions may have up front gains (looks slim & good, so people will buy a lot of them), but the back end will be greatly increased repair costs and ticked off customers.

Seems best to wait a few weeks before picking this up, but most will consider "the iPhone has a fixed battery too", but it is NOT running at and overclocked 1.2ghz. (800mhz, I do believe).

Considering how quickly the Droid 3 can burn through the battery at just 1ghz when playing content that requires a steady 1ghz, I see no way this device will last a day (unless you are lightly using the device and mainly phone function).

They are trying to treat the device like an iPhone (fixed battery), but are throwing more at the battery with the Razr. Even the iPhone 4S starts draining when playing 3D games (but 800mhz rather than 1.2ghz and smaller display). Best to wait a few weeks IMO, since even a 1750 battery seem low.

Added: I expect the market for the usb batteries to pick up with this device. Watch in a few months for VZW to offer them free to people hollering about battery life ;)

redraider1 likes this.
  22. pm1066

None

Jul 14, 2010
    True, I'm sure there are compatible external packs now. What I was referring to was Yodadroid hinted there would be a Moto solution. To me at least implies it may be a slightly slicker or elegant solution. Most external packs I've seen attach a phone sized dongle to the real phone, with the incidental stress those cable put on the USB port.

I am so hoping this is unwarranted angst. Heat is absolutely the worst enemy, but seriously internal air flow isn't an issue. All these phones use a conductive cooling to the skin, then convective/radiative cooling. I have some faith that Moto has enough design genius left to solve the problem. How they could launch a major product that would simultaneously piss off the entire Bionic crowd AND be a major hardware fail just doesn't compute. Just to put this in perspective, the kevlar will be as thermally conductive as the gorilla glass.

That said, I'm not getting mine (if I get one) on launch day... ;)

BlueBiker likes this.
  23. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

Not long to find out. It is all in the dissipation of heat (or lack of). The weak point will still be the battery and the history of it being the main failure point for phones. No more replacing the battery and moving on, plus VZW does not have an Apple ecosystem to leverage with the Razr. Motorola prepared for this?

24. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    With all the complaints about internal battery, I cannot remeber the last time I needed to replace a batter in a phone or any other device. Unless you use one hone for more than 3-4 years there is nothing to worry about.

25. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

This is true.