• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Built in tethering via Bluetooth!

well not 100x faster but check out these interesting results.... all tests were done on same laptop unfortunately i dunno how to setup usb tether on droid yet... but the droid bluetooth tethering resulted in faster download/uploading and cleaner ping than the usb from my blackberry bold... crazy... these tests were done at speedtest.net

blackberry bold 9650
tetherberry bluetooth
tether:
d-.49 mb/s
u-.20 mb/s
p-254ms

blackberry bold 9650 usb
tether:
d-.64 mb/s
u-.20 mb/s
p-229ms

droid x bluetooth tether:
d-.88 mb/s
u-.59 mb/s
p-120ms

d - download speed
u - upload speed
p - ping

...gosh i feel like i'm at work here, lol... oops i'm still on my droid bluetooth network can't even tell a difference when i'm doing internet browsing, need to hop back on the wifi before big bad red comes after me...

Upvote 0
Thank you guys very much for this tip! :D I'm sure Verizon does not really care about this. I mean... it's so easy to set up a connection.

I'm getting 2.2mbps down and .780kbps up at work. Awesome!

Is there anything that I should know in terms of settings? I don't want to have it on a setting that would automatically turn off data... or will it always stream through to my laptop until I disconnect?

Upvote 0
I can't, for the life of me, get this to work. I'm using a MacBook and I can get my Droid X to pair, but it just won't connect to the network and actually work. Are there any settings I should need to change on the phone and/or computer? It pairs, supposedly connects, and then the web pages won't show up. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

Edit: I got it to work...Thanks anyways!

Upvote 0
I can't, for the life of me, get this to work. I'm using a MacBook and I can get my Droid X to pair, but it just won't connect to the network and actually work. Are there any settings I should need to change on the phone and/or computer? It pairs, supposedly connects, and then the web pages won't show up. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance!

How did you get it to work?

Upvote 0
Actually this is true, Apple has really locked down there bluetooth interface, they do not have many standard bluetooth spec protocols, and severely limit developer access.

This is one large reason several long-time mac developers I know are slowly leaving iphone as a platform for contract business. Sure they still do it if someone pays, but more and more costumers are wanting to interact with embedded devices via blue tooth, and iphone OS just won't play that game. That and the $4 per that they charge if you use their frackin connector.

Apple has not "locked down" Bluetooth specs. Check their developer guides.
Uh huh. For everyone "you know" there are 100 taking their place. Somehow I doubt Apple is worried.

Upvote 0
I have not gotten the "bluetooth peripherals" driver installed either. I want to because i want to use my HTPC audio from my phone. I am going to do a little more digging on this over the weekend, I am working nonstop till then.

I am confused how you got it to connect via access point because I can pair and connect my phone with no problem with my windows 7 netbook. However, when I try to connect using access point I get the following error:

Windows can't connect to your personal area network. Try removing your Bluetooth enabled phone from your computer, and then adding (pairing with) it again.

I've done this several times and it never connects. I've also tried right clicking on the bluetooth icon and selecting join a personal area network but that just brings up the same window as if you right clicked on the same icon and chose show bluetooth devices.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Upvote 0
I am confused how you got it to connect via access point because I can pair and connect my phone with no problem with my windows 7 netbook. However, when I try to connect using access point I get the following error:

Windows can't connect to your personal area network. Try removing your Bluetooth enabled phone from your computer, and then adding (pairing with) it again.

I've done this several times and it never connects. I've also tried right clicking on the bluetooth icon and selecting join a personal area network but that just brings up the same window as if you right clicked on the same icon and chose show bluetooth devices.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Never mind, I finally got it to work.

Upvote 0

Can you elaborate? I'm having the same issue (everything connects but web pages won't load)

Thanks

Upvote 0
Wow, GREAT post. Thank you so much, it is truly that easy on the mac. Pair, and then click the connect to network. I had no idea it would be so easy. So we aren't going to get charged for this?

Here at work I'm getting .68 Mb/s down and .33 Mb/S up... Seems a little slow, but definitely works for news/e-mail browsing.

Hey, any help you might have would be appreciated - I get as far as clicking connect to network, but then I get the window with the red exclamation point saying "The Bluetooth network is unavailable. There was an error connecting to your device" (Powerbook G4). Any ideas?

Upvote 0
didn't see anyone answer you Mac... just made sure both device and computer were discoverable, paired them and just click on send file or connect to network. that simple. i found this thread because i was looking for some info on why i can't transfer a .apk file through BT. this is my first smart phone that i'm toying around with, i didn't get a chance to customize my incredible...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After quite a bit of looking and trying things I was finally able to link my DX to my pre-Intel PPC Powerbook G4. I detailed the process in another thread:

Nonrooted tethering with a Powerbook G4?

Thread #10 is where I explain how I did it. BTW, I understand the process is a lot easier on an Intel Mac as PDAnet will support tethering on Macbooks and later models...

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Great little idea two Big BIG questions.

1)I heard that it doesn't cost extra from verizon (shocked they aren't somehow charging us) But does it consume your data plan to do this?

2) I have been searching and searching and searching and... well ever since I got this phone and I've YET to find an answer as to what "Bluetooth peripheral device" I need to transfer pics/music from Droid X to Computer (Windows 7) I hate using wires and I wont always have internet

Upvote 0
For $20 a month I would just as soon use the Verizon hotspot and not have to mess with anything knowing it works with any device I care to use.

$20/month knowing it works with any device "I care to use". I personally don't own any apple devices, nor do I "care to use one". I'll just stay away from apple and keep my $20/month. It's free with pretty much ANY other device. One more reason D.B.A.

Just my opinion though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones