1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General built quality of galaxy s

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xaver, Jan 13, 2012.

1. xaver

xaver Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    hello... How is the built quality of galaxy s i1900... Is it tough...as it is very slim... Does it last long? And does it has a crisp display as it is only has 233 ppi...
    Thank you ^^

Advertisement

2. rayhipkiss

rayhipkiss Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Build quality isn't the greatest to be honest. The phone feels cheap because of all the plastic and mine makes an annoying creaking sound around the bezel.

I cannot fault the screen though, which is super sharp and crisp and very bright. The contrast ratio is also excellent, giving good deep blacks and excellent colour reproduction.

Ray.

xaver likes this.
  3. xaver

xaver Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    i c...So built quality is not gud... Is there any other issues {battery etc}... thanks

4. rayhipkiss

None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    There are no other issues as far as I'm aware. In fact to solve the cheap plastic nastiness I've ordered a genuine metal Samsung case for it.

The only thing worth mentioning is it won't be getting Ice Cream Sandwich but the latest Gingerbread is pretty good so that's not much of an issue.

Ray

5. xaver

xaver Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    yea ...gb...is its last stop... But there is cynamod 9 fo sgs :) i hope it has gud community support...
    Hey... How is its game performance... as i am a additive 2 game...
    I also came accross d screen pixelation prob in sgs...do u notice any...
    Sorry fo too many noob question :)

6. rayhipkiss

None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Game performance is very good thanks to it's excellent GPU. I haven't noticed any pixellation to be honest.

What I forgot to mention is that although it won't be getting ICS Samsung have said they will release a value pack instead which basically means it will get some of the features of ICS instead of the full blown update.

Ray.

xaver likes this.
  7. LateNiteMike

LateNiteMike Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Retired
    American Expat now living in Thailand
    I have NO problems with the build quality of my SGS....and I'm a former QA manager from the aerospace industry.
    Also, the screen is excellent and gaming graphics look great on it. I've had no problems with creaking or any pixelation with mine. I agree with poster 'rayhpikiss' on his positive comments about the display screen.

I do question replacing the original (plastic) back with a metal one. It's quite possible that a metal back might cut into performance of functions such as GPS and WiFi. In fact the Asus Transformer Prime comes with a metal back and owners have experienced problems with those same functions on that device because of it. Asus has since released an upgraded model (TF700T) that is designed to address the problem with new back with plastic along the top of the display over the areas of the internal antennas.
    (Yes, I'm considering buying one and I've checked it out).

As far as durability goes, I've had my SGS and used it several times daily for a year and three months now and it still works fine. I've upgraded the FW to GB (2.3.3) and I like it very much over Froyo.
    I bought a soft rubber cover and had that on my device for quite a while but it was difficult to remove my SGS from my pocket, so now I have a hard rubber cover and it works much better.
    I've also had a screen protector on my device from day one. All in all my device looks like new, has no build quality issues, and performance is much better than new with the FW upgrade to GB.
    I may go for the latest 'Value Pack' and I may not. I'm not sure at this point in time.
    I do have one concern about the device, and that is the amount of (usable) ram. It comes with 512 total but much of that is taken up and not available to the user. I'm dealing with running with around 50MB most of the time. I can bump it up to about 100+ by using an app called 'Android Assistant', but the device is soon back down to 50-60MB.
    In all fairness...I do have 50+ apps loaded onto my SGS at the present time. I had several 'clock' apps loaded (I like clocks on the display) but I dumped almost all of them....and that did help somewhat with the ram issue.
    As far as the device being 'light'.....it was designed to be light. I've found by adding the hard plastic cover the SGS just feels 'better' in my hand, so that may be something you might want to consider.
    In short, I still love my SGS. :D

svkndv and xaver like this.
  8. xaver

xaver Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    Wow... Thanks for clearing all d issues that was holding me back to buy this device... :)

9. rayhipkiss

None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK

The metal case that I have ordered isn't a replacement for the plastic back cover but a clip on case which envelops the phone, which in turn will eliminate the creaking noise the bezel makes. The metal case is perforated to cater for the antennas so reception should not be a problem.
    Play.com - Buy Samsung SAMGSMCBK Galaxy S Metal Clip Case / Black online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!.

All the best.

Ray.

10. blacksnoopy

blacksnoopy Lurker
    None

The plastic is very thin becase thethickness of the body but the Gorilla Glass is nicee

11. antoeknee

antoeknee Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    Network Manager
    NW England
    Must agree with LateNiteMike no issues at all with build quality, no creaks etc.

I also have had a hard rubber case and screen protector on my phone which I've had about 15 months and phone looks much same as when I took it out of the box.

Currently on 2.3.5 and running really well. Stopped me from getting SII as its working well enough so I can wait for SIII.

12. droid416

droid416 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    IT
    Toronto, Canada
    I have some issues with build quality. My USB charging port is loose and I can no longer charge my battery internally. I'm forced to take the battery out and use an external charger. So I've got a whole rotation of batteries that I use...well when lifting the battery cover it must flex a bit and with all the battery changing I do, that plastic battery cover has cracked now. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until it breaks completely. I've already bought a spare cover for when that happens.

13. rayhipkiss

None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK

I recently had to change the earpiece and sensor assembly on my Galaxy S and found the whole process to be incredibly simple by following the disassembly video on Youtube.

Samsung i9000 Disassembly.mp4 - YouTube

If you have access to a precision Philips screwdriver you can replace the charging port yourself. In the UK, a replacement USB port costs just