1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Bulk sale of Android app licenses for promo

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by jeti, Sep 6, 2019.

1. jeti

jeti Lurker

We have been approached by a company that wants to hand out codes for a free, branded version of an app that we sell on the Google Play store.

I wonder how this could best be implemented. We could upload the branded version as a separate app to the store and generate the required number of license keys. However, this approach would mean that we have to maintain a separate version, that the branded version has a publicly visible entry in the store, and we'll also run afoul of the store policy by not giving Google its share.

Another way would be to allow to enter a code in the free version of our app and then switch to a special mode. However, this way customers would see the unbranded version first and I don't think that's whats wanted for a promotion.

Simply hosting an APK on a separate web page would require manual installation and not provide automatic updates.

Can you think of a good way to provide a branded version that's sold in bulk?

Advertisement

2. 23tony

23tony Well-Known Member

What you're trying to do is known as a white-label app. I used to work for a company that did these. But none of ours were paid, and none of them were our brand. I would suggest researching white-label apps and see if that turns up any useful info.